Morden Fig-ure way into the next round
Figleaves 4 Steeple Morden 4 (Steeple win 6-5 on penalties) STEEPLE Morden started their season with a win and saw off a spirited Figleaves in the John Ablett Cup. After shipping an early goal, Steeple were back in the game through a well-placed Andy Smi
Figleaves 4 Steeple Morden 4 (Steeple win 6-5 on penalties)
STEEPLE Morden started their season with a win and saw off a spirited Figleaves in the John Ablett Cup.
After shipping an early goal, Steeple were back in the game through a well-placed Andy Smith header.
But within minutes they conceded again.
You may also want to watch:
And despite having the majority of the play, and creating a number of chances, the vistitors found themselves 4-1 down with 15 minutes remaining.
Ben Holt then opened his account from the spot for Steeple's second and this was followed by a tremendous turn and finish by Dom Holt for goal number three.
- 1 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 2 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 3 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 4 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 5 Historic Mayflower train makes its way through Royston and Meldreth
- 6 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 7 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 8 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 9 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 10 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
Then in the final five minutes, man-of-the-match Dom Holt smashed home an equaliser, following some good work by Roy Dunsford, to complete a remarkable comeback.
With both teams failing to find the net during the 30 minutes of extra time, the match was to be decided with a penalty shootout.
Steeple keeper Tim Tidey made two crucial saves to force sudden death, with Damien Pennel scoring the visitors' winner.