Morden Fig-ure way into the next round
Figleaves 4 Steeple Morden 4 (Steeple win 6-5 on penalties) STEEPLE Morden started their season with a win and saw off a spirited Figleaves in the John Ablett Cup. After shipping an early goal, Steeple were back in the game through a well-placed Andy Smi
Figleaves 4 Steeple Morden 4 (Steeple win 6-5 on penalties)
STEEPLE Morden started their season with a win and saw off a spirited Figleaves in the John Ablett Cup.
After shipping an early goal, Steeple were back in the game through a well-placed Andy Smith header.
But within minutes they conceded again.
And despite having the majority of the play, and creating a number of chances, the vistitors found themselves 4-1 down with 15 minutes remaining.
Ben Holt then opened his account from the spot for Steeple's second and this was followed by a tremendous turn and finish by Dom Holt for goal number three.
- 1 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 2 Royston Bloomsday marks 100th anniversary of James Joyce's novel
- 3 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 4 Vehicles, greenhouse and fence 'smashed' in Royston
- 5 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 6 Duke and Duchess of Cambridge view portrait of themselves at Fitzwilliam Museum
- 7 Artists open up in record numbers for Cambridge Open Studios 2022
- 8 Property: How could the new laws for renters affect you?
- 9 Pictures of Duxford Summer Air Show 2022 at IWM Duxford
- 10 Teen attacked couple with glasses at Royston pub
Then in the final five minutes, man-of-the-match Dom Holt smashed home an equaliser, following some good work by Roy Dunsford, to complete a remarkable comeback.
With both teams failing to find the net during the 30 minutes of extra time, the match was to be decided with a penalty shootout.
Steeple keeper Tim Tidey made two crucial saves to force sudden death, with Damien Pennel scoring the visitors' winner.