Morden Fig-ure way into the next round
Figleaves 4 Steeple Morden 4 (Steeple win 6-5 on penalties) STEEPLE Morden started their season with a win and saw off a spirited Figleaves in the John Ablett Cup. After shipping an early goal, Steeple were back in the game through a well-placed Andy Smi
Figleaves 4 Steeple Morden 4 (Steeple win 6-5 on penalties)
STEEPLE Morden started their season with a win and saw off a spirited Figleaves in the John Ablett Cup.
After shipping an early goal, Steeple were back in the game through a well-placed Andy Smith header.
But within minutes they conceded again.
You may also want to watch:
And despite having the majority of the play, and creating a number of chances, the vistitors found themselves 4-1 down with 15 minutes remaining.
Ben Holt then opened his account from the spot for Steeple's second and this was followed by a tremendous turn and finish by Dom Holt for goal number three.
- 1 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 2 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 3 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 4 Royston Kite Festival decision 'under review' as lockdown extended
- 5 Mayor ‘wantonly diverted’ £40m of housing cash
- 6 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 7 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 8 Community stalwart who led national effort to help navy veterans during pandemic receives BEM
- 9 Hotel has everything you need for a relaxing staycation
- 10 Village leader awarded BEM for community centre build and more
Then in the final five minutes, man-of-the-match Dom Holt smashed home an equaliser, following some good work by Roy Dunsford, to complete a remarkable comeback.
With both teams failing to find the net during the 30 minutes of extra time, the match was to be decided with a penalty shootout.
Steeple keeper Tim Tidey made two crucial saves to force sudden death, with Damien Pennel scoring the visitors' winner.