Morden defy steep odds to earn draw
Steeple Morden 3 Elsworth 3
STEEPLE Morden produced a stunning second half comeback to earn a well deserved point against title-chasing Elsworth at the weekend.
Elsworth took the lead on 20 minutes when a fluid break led to a fine cross and diving header.
As the first period drew to a close Elsworth scored again from a corner before grabbing a third with another clinical break.
The hard working Darren Jarman and James Parsley were harder to breach in the second half as they held a higher line in central defence and Jason Clark started to hit penetrating passes forward.
You may also want to watch:
Steeple scored their first goal when their impressive skipper Laurence Harrison flicked on a throw in for Tom Holt who looped his header over the visiting ‘keeper.
Veteran keeper Tim Tidey denied the Elsworth striker a hat-trick with a brave save at his feet before Steeple grabbed a second.
- 1 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 2 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 3 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 4 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 5 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 6 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 7 Hertfordshire's adult social care workers honoured at award ceremony
- 8 Help on offer for residents as Universal Credit cut looms
- 9 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 10 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
Kieran Smith delivered a fine free kick to the near post which Lee Cook met with a bullet header.
With moments remaining, Cook beat his man on the byline and his cut back was sweetly struck home by Tom Holt for his fourth goal in two games.
The draw lifts Steeple to eighth in the league.
Steeple Morden: Tidey, Smith, Clark (McLelland), Jarman, Parsley, Thorp (Cook), Harrison, Geraghty (Prothero), Skipper, Holt, Pennel.