Moor leads Foxton to victory
Tucker Gardner Division 1
Foxton 273-5 dec (37 overs)
Sawston 190 (39.4 overs)
Foxton won by 83 runs
FOXTON recorded their fifth straight league win on Saturday thanks largely to Peter Moor’s fine unbeaten century.
You may also want to watch:
After winning the toss and electing to bat first on a firm and flat track, Foxton openers Antonnel Atwell and Cei Sanderson made a brisk start putting on 36 in six overs before the latter was unfortunately run out for 14.
Home skipper Lawrence Farnum soon departed cheaply while the in-form Atwell had made 41 of the 68-2 score. Moor joined the opener and in just an hour they notched the best stand of the game with 117 from only 16 overs.
- 1 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 2 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 3 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 4 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 5 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 6 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 7 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 8 Herts libraries service could be transferred to public service mutual
- 9 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 10 Chocks away! Phillips and Nunn bag Spitfire Salver at Heydon Grange Golf Club
Atwell was then caught attempting another boundary for a well played 76. At this point Moor was 72* with the score on 185-3 and Foxton were looking to make a declaration. Jeffery Douglas (24), Adam Webster (17) and Adrian Cambridge making a rare first team appearance with 11* aided Moor who was composing his best innings of the season and, after 37 overs, he was 105* (nine 4s, seven 6s) enabling Foxton to declare at 273-5 giving them a bonus of 11 extra overs to bowl Sawston out.
The visitors’ bowlers toiled hard all afternoon and Sam Rippington, Marc Smith and Vaughan Blanchard were all rewarded with a wicket apiece.
Sawston began the chase requiring 4.6 runs-per-over to see them home, but they suffered an early setback losing Wesley Potschul lbw to spinner Tom Stone.
Liam Flynn was then joined by Blanchard and the former’s first eight scoring shots were all fours before he was well caught by Sanderson for 38 leaving Sawston at 41-2.
Useful contributions from Marc Pearson (22) and Ben Benson (27) along with the not out Blanchard (55) had the visitors on 132-4 from 27 overs and now needing just under 4.5-per-over to reach the winning line.
Their chances then began to fade as wickets began to tumble to home bowlers Stone, Douglas and Atwell, aided by excellent fielding and catching, and when Blanchard departed leaving them on 166-6 their hopes had virtually disappeared.
It was left to Stone to mop up the tail with three quick strikes giving him a season’s best return of 11.3-3-44-5 with a couple each for Douglas and Atwell enabling Foxton to coast home by 83 runs.
Foxton IIs had a narrow one-wicket win away to Sawston IIIs and are now third in their league, just three points outside a promotion place.
Next week Foxton entertain Ramsey Is while the IIs travel to Chippenham.