Montague-Fuller brace sees Royston hockey men secure victory at Cheshunt
- Credit: Archant
In the only Royston Hockey Club fixture of the weekend, the men’s 2nds beat Cheshunt 1sts 4-2 in a re-arranged league match.
The Crows made the trip earlier in the month only for the game to be abandoned due to adverse weather conditions.
It was the hosts who had a majority of the play in the early exchanges but the Royston rear guard stood firm.
As the half drew on Royston were gaining more of a foothold with Matthew Allsopp and Graham Johnson-Mack linking up well in the middle of the park and finding the forwards with through balls.
After a couple of chances went begging, Royston took the lead when Lyndon Farmer capped a good move between Mark Jacobs and Jacob Gourd with the opening goal.
Soon after the Crows doubled their advantage as Owen Russell rolled the ball past the out-coming keeper for Josh Montague-Fuller to tap into an empty net.
Leading 2-0 at the restart, Royston were pegged back but, as Cheshunt pushed for an equaliser, they had a numerical advantage on the break, which was exploited by Montague-Fuller and he slapped the backboard with an unstoppable shot.
- 1 Royston judoka Reid relishing Commonwealth Games chance
- 2 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 3 Bassingbourn Village College students win Pitch for the Prize competition
- 4 Tractors take to the streets to raise money for hospital
- 5 7 of the most beautiful churches in Hertfordshire
- 6 What to see in the sky in July: Year's biggest supermoon and meteor showers
- 7 'Hooded thieves' stole three vehicles
- 8 Royston Museum finally reopens following two-year closure
- 9 Royston Town Council declares climate emergency
- 10 Census data reveals Hertfordshire population boom over last decade
Royston extended their lead through Owen Russell as he rushed on to another through ball by Johnson-Mack. He was able to the round the keeper and slot the ball into the vacant net.
Cheshunt did manage to drag another goal back at the death and despite a lot of bluster and vociferous activity they could not get anymore. Royston saw out the final few minutes to take the points.