Montague-Fuller brace sees Royston hockey men secure victory at Cheshunt
- Credit: Archant
In the only Royston Hockey Club fixture of the weekend, the men’s 2nds beat Cheshunt 1sts 4-2 in a re-arranged league match.
The Crows made the trip earlier in the month only for the game to be abandoned due to adverse weather conditions.
It was the hosts who had a majority of the play in the early exchanges but the Royston rear guard stood firm.
As the half drew on Royston were gaining more of a foothold with Matthew Allsopp and Graham Johnson-Mack linking up well in the middle of the park and finding the forwards with through balls.
After a couple of chances went begging, Royston took the lead when Lyndon Farmer capped a good move between Mark Jacobs and Jacob Gourd with the opening goal.
Soon after the Crows doubled their advantage as Owen Russell rolled the ball past the out-coming keeper for Josh Montague-Fuller to tap into an empty net.
Leading 2-0 at the restart, Royston were pegged back but, as Cheshunt pushed for an equaliser, they had a numerical advantage on the break, which was exploited by Montague-Fuller and he slapped the backboard with an unstoppable shot.
- 1 Former nurse at Stevenage's Lister Hospital struck off
- 2 Ian Stewart murder trial: Diane 'suffered lack of oxygen for up to an hour'
- 3 Hundreds in Herts fined for breaking lockdown rules
- 4 Meldreth mental health cancer support charity appoints first patron
- 5 Stewart 'wasn't distressed and calmly answered questions' at scene of wife's death, paramedic tells court
- 6 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 7 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 8 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 9 Hero dog sniffs out cash for charity with golf ball mission
- 10 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
Royston extended their lead through Owen Russell as he rushed on to another through ball by Johnson-Mack. He was able to the round the keeper and slot the ball into the vacant net.
Cheshunt did manage to drag another goal back at the death and despite a lot of bluster and vociferous activity they could not get anymore. Royston saw out the final few minutes to take the points.