Mixed fortunes in cups as B and C teams qualify
THE North Herts Table Tennis Association Knock Out Cup competitions played last week proved mixed results for the Royston teams involved. The only success was achieved by the C team in the Division Two Inter-McClaughlin Cup where they had been drawn again
THE North Herts Table Tennis Association Knock Out Cup competitions played last week proved mixed results for the Royston teams involved.
The only success was achieved by the C team in the Division Two Inter-McClaughlin Cup where they had been drawn against Broadway D who had beaten them in the previous week's league match 8-2.
However, with a full team and different players they were able to reverse this result winning 5-3 thanks to two singles each by Terry Bailey and Andy Teemal and one from Derek Clark.
In the Division One McClaughlin Cup the B team were also drawn to play their previous week's league opponents, Broadway C, who they had beaten 6-4.
You may also want to watch:
But with Mike Malone injured and the opposition strengthened, two singles from Rob Vassalls and one apiece from Gordon Barnes and Haydn Gowan it was not quite enough to avoid a 5-4 reverse despite battling back from 4-1 down to 4-4.
And, short of a player at the last minute, the A team had no chance of progressing in the Premier Division, Willmott Cup going down 5-0 to Settlement Hawks.
- 1 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 2 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 3 In pictures: The Battle of Britain Air Show 2021 at IWM Duxford
- 4 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 5 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 6 This Hound could run and and run... Sherlock Holmes play was 'a fun evening'
- 7 22-year-old sentenced for criminal damage in Melbourn
- 8 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
- 9 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 10 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
The previous week's NHTTA League matches brought some improvement in results for the Royston Club.
The B team registered their first success in Division One beating Broadway C 6-4 thanks to two singles each and the doubles from Mike Malone and Rob Vassalls playing his first match. Haydn Gowan added the other point.
In the Premier Division the A team also did better to avoid another defeat earning a 5-5 draw at Green Man B. David Bridger and Simon Cockman gained two singles each and Alf Mills one.
The D team celebrated with a comfortable 8-2 victory over Settlement Wrens in Division Three.
Barry Ship led the way with three singles well supported with two apiece from Fred Bendall and junior Nathan Hutchings enjoying his first success and winning the doubles with Bendall.
But an even more successful week was denied when the previously unbeaten C team in Division Two went to Broadway D a player short and suffered a disappointing 8-2 defeat with just two singles wins from Terry Bailey.