Mixed fortunes for North Herts teams
GRENEWAY School in Royston and Corvus Cornix basketball under-12s represented North Herts in the prestigious Herts Youth Games at Hertfordshire University on Saturday. There was mixed success for both teams with the girls reaching the semi-finals and th
GRENEWAY School in Royston and Corvus Cornix basketball under-12s represented North Herts in the prestigious Herts Youth Games at Hertfordshire University on Saturday.
There was mixed success for both teams with the girls reaching the semi-finals and the boys finishing fifth, after a disappointing start to the tournament.
The girls, coached by Rob Dowler and Hannah Gifford, beat Hertsmere and Dacorum on the way to the semi-final, where they narrowly lost to eventual winners East Herts.
The girls then lost their third-place play-off against Watford despite playing the better basketball.
You may also want to watch:
The boys started the competition as tournament favourites, but the pressure seemed to affect their usual play.
Despite dominating games against East Herts and Watford, North Herts failed to turn possession into points and went down 6-4 and 8-6 respectively.
- 1 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 2 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 3 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 4 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
- 5 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 6 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 7 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 8 Exploring the medieval graffiti of North Herts' historic churches
- 9 Safety concerns continue in final days of travel hub consultation
- 10 Cambs and Essex academy trust wins prestigious award
However, victories against Hertsmere (32-0) and Dacorum (14-6) meant the boys qualified for the fifth place play-off against Three Rivers, where the team finally found their rhythm and ran out 16-8 winners.
Boys: Joe Graves,, Adam Monti, Daniel Jinkerson, Tom Heginbottom, Jack Beck, Nathan Crossman, Ayrron Armstrong, Chay Woodford, Neil Addison, Scott Elliott, James Richardson, Will Annetts, Terry Graves (coach)
Girls: Rachael Robinson (Capt.), Hollie Woodley (V.Capt.), Esther Jackson, Keira Smith, Lucy Urbas, Amy Pearson, Kellie Lucken, Jennifer Biddlecomb, Beth Boulton, Kelly Yarwood, Chloe Aldous, Laura Lewis
Coaches: Rob Dowler, Hannah Gifford and Karen Foulger