Meridian footballers on top form
- Credit: Archant
Meridian’s senior football team scored 11 goals in victories over Barnwell and John Henry Newman School.
The wins put Meridian in a strong position within the District League competition which culminates in the top two playing in the Senior Cup final.
A 4-2 triumph over Barnwell started the recent goal glut.
Two goals from John Middlemass put Meridian on their way with a third from Jacob Leighton putting them 3-0 up at half-time.
The second half saw Barnwell come back into the game as the Meridian players tired, but Anthony Lane got a deserved goal to restore Meridian’s two-goal advantage with the game finishing 4-2.
You may also want to watch:
Meridian continued where they left off and against John Henry Newman produced another strong team performance winning 7-2. Goals from Leighton, Lane and Jake Benstead saw Meridian make it to half-time 3-0 ahead.
The John Henry Newman players stepped up their performance in the second half.
- 1 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 2 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 3 In pictures: The Battle of Britain Air Show 2021 at IWM Duxford
- 4 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 5 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 6 22-year-old sentenced for criminal damage in Melbourn
- 7 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 8 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
- 9 This Hound could run and and run... Sherlock Holmes play was 'a fun evening'
- 10 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
However, despite getting back into the game early on, they quickly found themselves even further behind following a further four goals from Middlemass, Callum Turner, Lane and Benstead.