Meridian footballers on top form
- Credit: Archant
Meridian’s senior football team scored 11 goals in victories over Barnwell and John Henry Newman School.
The wins put Meridian in a strong position within the District League competition which culminates in the top two playing in the Senior Cup final.
A 4-2 triumph over Barnwell started the recent goal glut.
Two goals from John Middlemass put Meridian on their way with a third from Jacob Leighton putting them 3-0 up at half-time.
The second half saw Barnwell come back into the game as the Meridian players tired, but Anthony Lane got a deserved goal to restore Meridian’s two-goal advantage with the game finishing 4-2.
You may also want to watch:
Meridian continued where they left off and against John Henry Newman produced another strong team performance winning 7-2. Goals from Leighton, Lane and Jake Benstead saw Meridian make it to half-time 3-0 ahead.
The John Henry Newman players stepped up their performance in the second half.
- 1 Flasher who attacked officers appears in court
- 2 Have you seen missing parrot Charlie?
- 3 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 4 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 5 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 6 Eight picture-perfect picnic spots across East Anglia
- 7 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 8 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 9 Yellow weather warning of thunderstorms in Herts
- 10 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
However, despite getting back into the game early on, they quickly found themselves even further behind following a further four goals from Middlemass, Callum Turner, Lane and Benstead.