Meridian footballers on top form
- Credit: Archant
Meridian’s senior football team scored 11 goals in victories over Barnwell and John Henry Newman School.
The wins put Meridian in a strong position within the District League competition which culminates in the top two playing in the Senior Cup final.
A 4-2 triumph over Barnwell started the recent goal glut.
Two goals from John Middlemass put Meridian on their way with a third from Jacob Leighton putting them 3-0 up at half-time.
The second half saw Barnwell come back into the game as the Meridian players tired, but Anthony Lane got a deserved goal to restore Meridian’s two-goal advantage with the game finishing 4-2.
Meridian continued where they left off and against John Henry Newman produced another strong team performance winning 7-2. Goals from Leighton, Lane and Jake Benstead saw Meridian make it to half-time 3-0 ahead.
The John Henry Newman players stepped up their performance in the second half.
- 1 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 2 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 3 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 4 Ian Stewart murder trial: Killer 'restricted wife's breathing and fabricated epilepsy death'
- 5 Council leader pledges 'we'll hold This Land to account'
- 6 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
- 7 Tiffinity and Beyond: Boost for Melbourn business thanks to former BBC Dragon
- 8 Former heavyweight boxing champ to support hospice with charity dinner
- 9 Women trapped in vehicle after A10 crash
- 10 How are England's Covid restrictions changing after Plan B?
However, despite getting back into the game early on, they quickly found themselves even further behind following a further four goals from Middlemass, Callum Turner, Lane and Benstead.