Mephan wins Captain’s Day at Royston
A BUSY weekend of golf saw Sid Seward hold his Captain’s Day at Royston Golf Club on Saturday and with over 180 members taking part.
Paul Mepham emerged victorious, scoring 42 stableford points. Mephan is in a rich run of form that has seen his handicap tumble to 10, a reduction of six shots in just two months.
Adam Dyer finished second with 41 points and six-handicapper, Darren Thompson, took third with 40. Mark Bonnett and Trevor Sweeting were also in the prizes.
Lady Captain, Alice Lewis, won the ladies prize ahead of Sandra Joyner and Emma Logan. The countback rule was required to decide the junior winner, with John Middlemass, edging out Lyle Clark after both players scored 38.
The Lady Captain’s Day, played on Sunday, was slightly cooler with a bit more breeze, which made scoring a little trickier and eventually it was Claire Beaumont who won with an impressive 38 points, finishing off in style with a birdie at the last.
You may also want to watch:
Gill Drewery finished second ahead of Josie Seward, Carolyn Devaney, Kathy Musgrave and Sue Leadbeater.
Mike Harrison blew the field apart in the Veterans Centenary Trophy with a mammoth 43 stableford points. The 19-handicapper stormed home in five over par to set up a six point winning margin over Ray Haw.
- 1 A505 campaigner on safety improvement progress and wrong-way driver near-miss
- 2 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 3 Lidl targets new Hertfordshire store locations
- 4 Broadband speeds 15x faster than average set to arrive thanks to major investment
- 5 Kite Festival cancelled after lockdown extension
- 6 Limes Communal Rooms to become Bassingbourn's village hall
- 7 Uber-style app could mean doorstep bus pick up
- 8 Nurses to meet with unvaccinated social care workers to address concerns
- 9 What is happening in our area for Armed Forces Day?
- 10 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room