Men’s First Team move up to second after beating Luton
Royston Hockey Club round-up
ROYSTON Hockey Club Men’s First Team produced a fantastic display to win 4-0 against Luton Town on Saturday.
The goalscorers were Andrew Drage (two), Mike Welding and Nick Hurd, and the victory pushes them up to second in the table.
The Men’s IIs lost 7-2 away to West Herts IIIs. The visitors struggled from the offset and were two goals down after just five minutes. Darren Hicks and Ollie Pottrill scored the two consolation goals.
The Men’s IIIs didn’t fare much better as they lost 5-1 to Winchmore Hill & Enfield IVs. Keith Markham was on target for Royston.
You may also want to watch:
The Men’s IVs somehow contrived to lose 3-2 to a strong Potters Bar IIIs despite leading the match 2-0 as late as 60 minutes in thanks to strikes from Fraser Deeprose either side of the interval. However they weren’t able to hang onto the lead and Potters Bar scored three goals in the final 10 minutes to win the match.
The Ladies’ First Team overcame their toughest hurdle of the season so far with a 5-3 win against Leighton Buzzard.
- 1 'Panic-buying is crippling us' - petrol station owner urges motorists to think before they refuel
- 2 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist sustains serious injuries in crash
- 3 17 of the prettiest streets in North Herts
- 4 North Herts and Beds villages hit by power cut
- 5 Flexi parking ticket rolled out for hybrid commuters
- 6 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 7 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 8 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 9 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 10 Help on offer for residents as Universal Credit cut looms
They came out strong and managed to get an early goal when Sarah Buckfield struck a fantastic shot into the bottom corner from the top of the D.
Unfortunately Leighton Buzzard equalised when they caught Royston on the break. However, Royston responded positively and scored a further three goals. Kirsty McKenzie got her first when she converted a short corner from a tight angle before Alison Carroll added another. McKenzie then got her second and Royston’s fourth when she picked up a superb cross to deflect the ball high into the goal.
Leighton Buzzard came out strongly after half-time and managed to pull two goals back. But excellent goalkeeping from Player of the Match Laura Price stopped them from getting an equaliser. Ruth Askham sealed the win with a superb strike late on.
The Ladies’ IIs lost 3-1 to West Herts IIIs with Lucy Davidson scoring for Royston.
The Ladies’ IIIs won 4-3 against Berkhamsted & Harpenden IIs with the goals coming from Julie Walsh (two), Lara Gibson and Heidi Whitaker.