Men’s 3rds climb to Division 7 summit after thrashing
- Credit: Getty Images/Comstock Images
Royston Tennis Club men’s 3rds thrashed Great Shelford 7ths to top the Division 7 table in the Cambridgeshire Summer League.
The 3rds were rarely troubled, coming out seven sets to one winners.
The 5ths, made up of Pete Christmas, Donald Hartley, Alan Knight and Ian Musgrove, followed suit, beating Girton 1sts 7-1 to maintain their table-topping status.
Their next match, at home to Ely 3rds, was equally easy as an 8-0 thrashing completed a bumper duo of results.
Christmas and Tony Woods won their sets 6-0, 6-0, 6-3 and 6-1.
You may also want to watch:
Matt Leverage and Hartley won 6-0, 6-3, 6-0, 6-0.
The 4ths achieved another draw in their third outing away to Saffron Walden 4ths, thanks to a fine performance by David Addison and Leo Pickett, who won all four sets for the loss of only eight games. They remain second in the Division 8 table.
- 1 'Panic-buying is crippling us' - petrol station owner urges motorists to think before they refuel
- 2 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist sustains serious injuries in crash
- 3 17 of the prettiest streets in North Herts
- 4 North Herts and Beds villages hit by power cut
- 5 Flexi parking ticket rolled out for hybrid commuters
- 6 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 7 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 8 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 9 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 10 Help on offer for residents as Universal Credit cut looms
Cocks & Hens 1sts were too much for the 1sts as Royston lost 7-1.
Meanwhile, the 2nds saw their flying start to the season come crashing to a halt, as they lost 7-1 to David Lloyd 2nds.
Despite the loss, their good early form keeps them in the division’s top two.
The ladies’ teams are having less enjoyable times than the men at present.
In Division 2, the 1sts secured a draw with Risbygate 2nds, but in their second game, lost 7-1 to David Lloyd 1sts.
The 2nds lost 6-2 to Saffron Walden 3rds and 8-0 to Cambourne.
In Division 5, the 3rds were defeated 7-1 by Cambridge 5ths.
Royston Tennis Club welcomes new members and operates a full LTA tennis programme of coaching, matches and tournaments for mini, junior, adult and veteran players of all abilities.
For more information, visit www.roystontennis.co.uk