Members brave New Year’s hangovers for Royston Golf Club Texas Scramble
- Credit: Archant
The traditional Texas Scramble event opened 2016 for Royston Golf Club on New Year’s Day.
Following the club’s New Year’s Eve party, attended by 65 members and hosted in the clubhouse, several teams of four players were back out on the course the morning after ready to compete.
The competition is devised with quartets all playing from the best position achieved from their previous shots to see who can hit the lowest overall score.
At the conclusion of the event, the winners of the gross score were Nick Scott, Paul Lewis, Gary Fortune and Darren Dawson with 65 whilst second place was taken by Robin Coles, Mark Moule, junior captain Matt Bailey and fellow junior George Sanders, who were two shots back.
The nett score winners were Will Cooper, John Johnson, Jim Hart and Graham Richardson with 53.8 who were a shot clear of Sue Bidwell, Dave Bidwell, Stuart Knight and Keith Taylor.
You may also want to watch:
Also on New Year’s Day, in the Saturday Swindle, Alan Saunders came out on top with 36 stableford points with Eddie Collins pipping Arlo Blair to second on countback, both players having scored 35.
In the first medal of the year last Sunday, Chris Paxton took the winners’ spoon with a fantastic 66 while Peter Rutter sealed second place on countback from club greenkeeper Ryan Sharp as both returned 68s.
- 1 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 2 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 3 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 4 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 5 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 6 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 7 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 8 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 9 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 10 Strictly Come Dancing champion to Dial M for Murder in Cambridge
The club is continuing to offer their £150, three-month taster membership.
For more information about joining the club, call Ryan or Amanda on 01763 243476.