Melbourn student qualifies for national event following Eastern Area Championships bronze medal
- Credit: Archant
A dedicated judo player has reached the National Schools Finals later this year.
Melbourn Village College Year 10 student Jacob Hanson reached the national stage after winning a bronze medal at the Eastern Area Championships at Thetford over the weekend.
Competing against much older boys (the competition was for Years 10-13), 14-year-old Hanson, a member of Melbourn Judo Club, will now compete in Sheffield on Saturday, April 2.
Hanson, one of only six U16s at the club who currently hold a green belt, has been a judo player for almost six years and according to organisers Lesley and Iain Reid, has the best attendance record at the club.
He rarely misses a Saturday or Tuesday evening session, where he trains with the seniors.
You may also want to watch:
For more information on Melbourn Judo Club, visit www.melbournjudoclub.co.uk
- 1 Village school's annual fayre is a big hit
- 2 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 3 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
- 4 Safety concerns continue in final days of travel hub consultation
- 5 Margaret House residential home celebrates 50th anniversary milestone
- 6 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 7 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 8 Historic Mayflower train makes its way through Royston and Meldreth
- 9 Hunt the hearts at town trail to raise money for charity
- 10 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show