Melbourn student qualifies for national event following Eastern Area Championships bronze medal
- Credit: Archant
A dedicated judo player has reached the National Schools Finals later this year.
Melbourn Village College Year 10 student Jacob Hanson reached the national stage after winning a bronze medal at the Eastern Area Championships at Thetford over the weekend.
Competing against much older boys (the competition was for Years 10-13), 14-year-old Hanson, a member of Melbourn Judo Club, will now compete in Sheffield on Saturday, April 2.
Hanson, one of only six U16s at the club who currently hold a green belt, has been a judo player for almost six years and according to organisers Lesley and Iain Reid, has the best attendance record at the club.
He rarely misses a Saturday or Tuesday evening session, where he trains with the seniors.
You may also want to watch:
For more information on Melbourn Judo Club, visit www.melbournjudoclub.co.uk
- 1 A505 campaigner on safety improvement progress and wrong-way driver near-miss
- 2 Kite Festival cancelled after lockdown extension
- 3 Grandmother runs Royston in Blue 5k solo to raise money for charity
- 4 What is happening in our area for Armed Forces Day?
- 5 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 6 Nurses to meet with unvaccinated social care workers to address concerns
- 7 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 8 Uber-style app could mean doorstep bus pick up
- 9 'If I lived three miles away the obstacles would've been lower' - Councillor calls for IVF to be reinstated in Cambs
- 10 Limes Communal Rooms to become Bassingbourn's village hall