Melbourn student qualifies for national event following Eastern Area Championships bronze medal
- Credit: Archant
A dedicated judo player has reached the National Schools Finals later this year.
Melbourn Village College Year 10 student Jacob Hanson reached the national stage after winning a bronze medal at the Eastern Area Championships at Thetford over the weekend.
Competing against much older boys (the competition was for Years 10-13), 14-year-old Hanson, a member of Melbourn Judo Club, will now compete in Sheffield on Saturday, April 2.
Hanson, one of only six U16s at the club who currently hold a green belt, has been a judo player for almost six years and according to organisers Lesley and Iain Reid, has the best attendance record at the club.
He rarely misses a Saturday or Tuesday evening session, where he trains with the seniors.
For more information on Melbourn Judo Club, visit www.melbournjudoclub.co.uk
- 1 Ian Stewart murder trial: Killer 'restricted wife's breathing and fabricated epilepsy death'
- 2 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
- 3 Trial begins for killer accused of murdering wife
- 4 Tiffinity and Beyond: Boost for Melbourn business thanks to former BBC Dragon
- 5 Women trapped in vehicle after A10 crash
- 6 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
- 7 Meet the couple who won holidays by the sea for a year
- 8 Cancer nurse's warning over drop in cervical screening
- 9 Time-lapse video: Nightingale surge hub build at Lister Hospital
- 10 Gripping retelling of Blood Brothers coming to the ADC Theatre in Cambridge