Melbourn Squash Club’s second string off to a flier
Melbourn 2nds’ squash team came back from the brink of defeat to being their Herts Summer League Division Three campaign with a 9-6 victory at WGC-based Gosling 2nds.
Kate Bradshaw (3) narrowly lost her opening game, and never really adjusted to the speed of Gosling’s courts after that as she faded to a 3-0 defeat. Jan Brynjolffssen (2) employed good variety against a tall opponent, increasing his control throughout the match as he won 3-1 to level things ip.
In the decider, Gareth Russell (1) started well as he built a 2-0 lead. However, he found the finishing line elusive as third and fourth game leads evaporated. Things looked all up when he fell 14-9 behind in the fifth, facing five consecutive match balls, but Russell saved them all, running hard and playing some millimetre perfect backhand drop shots.
Having saved a 6th match ball in the tie-break, Russell then secured victory on his own first chance as another backhand drop forced an error from the home player.
Skipper Brynjolffssen said: “This was an exciting match to start the summer with. It looked like Gareth was going to win, and then it looked like he was certain to lose, but he never gave up hope despite being close to out on his feet.
You may also want to watch:
“Some of his retrieves when match ball down were truly remarkable.”
- 1 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 2 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 3 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 4 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 5 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
- 6 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 7 Have you visited the Orwell Clunch Pit? New sign tells of unique site's significance
- 8 How do North East Herts and South Cambs fare in the latest boundary review proposals?
- 9 Flying day at IWM Duxford commemorates 77th anniversary of D-Day
- 10 Outstanding day had by all at Streetfood Heroes event