Melbourn Squash Club go top of the Ladies Cambridgeshire League
- Credit: Archant
Melbourn Squash Club went top of the Ladies Cambridgeshire League after their 19-3 demolition at Crown Lodge.
The hosts were struggling with availability and Melbourn duly took advantage as firstly Ruth Sturgess won her match comfortably 3-0.
Two subsequent walkovers left the visitors assured of the win and Lynne Hays picked up a bonus point despite Sam Pluck’s narrow 3-2 defeat in the final match.
Melbourn’s men did not have such an easy time as they lost 18-6 to Peterborough. Matt Walker, 2nd team captain, did not get the 1sts off to a good start as he fell 3-0 in the opener.
Mark Oppen and Dan Easton then put Melbourn in a strong position with two defiant wins, but Joe Weavers and Matt Sampson lost their contests to give Peterborough a decent win.
You may also want to watch:
Melbourn 2nds won their fourth game of the season after a 19-5 victory over Fenland 2nds.
Paul Heath and Michael Easton put the 2nds in command of the tie.
- 1 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 2 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
- 3 Village school's annual fayre is a big hit
- 4 Margaret House residential home celebrates 50th anniversary milestone
- 5 Safety concerns continue in final days of travel hub consultation
- 6 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 7 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 8 Historic Mayflower train makes its way through Royston and Meldreth
- 9 Exploring the medieval graffiti of North Herts' historic churches
- 10 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
Ian Blows lost a deciding game to allow Fenland a string back but Matt Walker and Jan Brynjolffssen won their matches to complete the rout.