Melbourn Squash Club go top of the Ladies Cambridgeshire League
- Credit: Archant
Melbourn Squash Club went top of the Ladies Cambridgeshire League after their 19-3 demolition at Crown Lodge.
The hosts were struggling with availability and Melbourn duly took advantage as firstly Ruth Sturgess won her match comfortably 3-0.
Two subsequent walkovers left the visitors assured of the win and Lynne Hays picked up a bonus point despite Sam Pluck’s narrow 3-2 defeat in the final match.
Melbourn’s men did not have such an easy time as they lost 18-6 to Peterborough. Matt Walker, 2nd team captain, did not get the 1sts off to a good start as he fell 3-0 in the opener.
Mark Oppen and Dan Easton then put Melbourn in a strong position with two defiant wins, but Joe Weavers and Matt Sampson lost their contests to give Peterborough a decent win.
Melbourn 2nds won their fourth game of the season after a 19-5 victory over Fenland 2nds.
Paul Heath and Michael Easton put the 2nds in command of the tie.
- 1 Ian Stewart murder trial: Killer 'restricted wife's breathing and fabricated epilepsy death'
- 2 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
- 3 Trial begins for killer accused of murdering wife
- 4 Women trapped in vehicle after A10 crash
- 5 Tiffinity and Beyond: Boost for Melbourn business thanks to former BBC Dragon
- 6 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
- 7 Cancer nurse's warning over drop in cervical screening
- 8 Meet the couple who won holidays by the sea for a year
- 9 Time-lapse video: Nightingale surge hub build at Lister Hospital
- 10 Imperial War Museums launches first ever IWM Live event at Duxford this year
Ian Blows lost a deciding game to allow Fenland a string back but Matt Walker and Jan Brynjolffssen won their matches to complete the rout.