Melbourn sound BIS League warning
MELBOURN got their BIS Division 2A campaign off to a flying start by drubbing Elsworth Sports 6-2 at the Recreation Ground. Veteran striker Kris Watters headed Melbourn in front after 16 minutes, following Andrew Morris fine left-wing cross. And the home
MELBOURN got their BIS Division 2A campaign off to a flying start by drubbing Elsworth Sports 6-2 at the Recreation Ground.
Veteran striker Kris Watters headed Melbourn in front after 16 minutes, following Andrew Morris' fine left-wing cross.
And the home side extended their lead soon after, Andy Richardson stabbing home after Andy Gray's long throw.
Elsworth pulled one back after 30 minutes, but Melbourn restored their two-goal cushion just minutes before the break, following a strike from new signing Ben Fox.
The visitors started the second-half brightly and Melbourn goalkeeper Glen Pearse made a couple of important saves to keep his side in front.
An own goal gifted Melbourn their fourth, before Ben Fox's sublime chip effectively ended the contest.
- 1 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 2 Royston Museum finally reopens following two-year closure
- 3 'Hooded thieves' stole three vehicles
- 4 Royston Town Council declares climate emergency
- 5 Tractors take to the streets to raise money for hospital
- 6 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 7 Census data reveals Hertfordshire population boom over last decade
- 8 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 9 Plans for second multi-storey car park at Stevenage's Lister Hospital to help 'better meet demand'
- 10 Citizens Advice: Your rights should anything get lost or delayed in the post
To their credit, Elsworth continued to compete and a far post header cut their deficit to three.
But Watters had the final say, his second goal of the match sealing a comfortable victory for his side against last season's promotion rivals.