Melbourn’s Bradshaw is runner-up at masters competition
- Credit: Archant
Kate Bradshaw is celebrating after finishing as runner-up in the Women’s Over-35 section of the England Squash Masters Series, East of England Regional event, held at Moreton Hall Health Club, Bury St Edmunds at the weekend.
A 3-0 win over Hannah Ockwell (Sussex) and 3-2 successes against Joanne Smalley (Bucks) and Maxine Dove (Suffolk) meant Bradshaw’s match against Katie Lawrence (Suffolk) decided the destiny of the title.
Lawrence, the reigning British Open Women’s O35 Champion, narrowly claimed each game as Bradshaw was beaten 11-9 12-1011-9.
Bradshaw said: “Given that this was my first Masters tournament, this was a really unexpected result.
“I knew that all the matches would be tough - giving away 2-0 leads in two of my matches also made things harder. I was pleased and lucky to come through the winner of those two five-set matches.
You may also want to watch:
“Although I lost against Katie Lawrence, I was happy that the scoreline was so close in terms of points won in the games played.
“She will be a hard one to beat, but I hope to have another chance at the next tournament in London at the end of October.”
- 1 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 2 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 3 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 4 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 5 Hotel has everything you need for a relaxing staycation
- 6 PM set to announce postponement of lockdown easing today
- 7 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 8 Raise the roof! Church lead replaced two years on from theft
- 9 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
- 10 Sign up to village duathlon and raise funds for Home-Start