MELBOURN secured promotion on Sunday as Mick Walker s team won at Saffron Waldon Reserves. Melbourn needed to win and hope results elsewhere went their way. However, Melbourn s pace in attack with Andrew Morris moved up alongside Ben Wright proved too
MELBOURN secured promotion on Sunday as Mick Walker's team won at Saffron Waldon Reserves.
Melbourn needed to win and hope results elsewhere went their way.
However, Melbourn's pace in attack with Andrew Morris moved up alongside Ben Wright proved too difficult for Saffron Walden to deal with and consequently Melbourn were three to the good inside eleven minutes.
The first came as Morris broke down the left with pace, unfortunately leaving most of his team-mates behind. His cross into the box was nodded clear only to find an on-rushing Ben Fox who controlled and dispatched a powerful volley into the back of the net.
The second came with superb Morris lob before Ben Wright scored an equally impressive third.
Melbourn played much of the second half in the Saffron Walden half and Chaz Hassen set up Ben Fox to smash home a fourth.
- 1 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 2 Vehicles, greenhouse and fence 'smashed' in Royston
- 3 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 4 Royston Bloomsday marks 100th anniversary of James Joyce's novel
- 5 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 6 Artists open up in record numbers for Cambridge Open Studios 2022
- 7 Stansted Airport and Cambridge trains disrupted after tree falls on tracks
- 8 Duke and Duchess of Cambridge view portrait of themselves at Fitzwilliam Museum
- 9 Property: How could the new laws for renters affect you?
- 10 Pictures of Duxford Summer Air Show 2022 at IWM Duxford
It's been a fantastic season for Mick Walker's men which has seen them achieve successive promotions.
This game was never in doubt after the visitors went ahead, and it's no surprise that they have only conceded three goals in their last 15 matches.
Melbourn now wait to see if Duxford can win all of their final six games as failure to do so will hand Melbourn the title and cap off a magnificant season for the team.