MELBOURN secured promotion on Sunday as Mick Walker s team won at Saffron Waldon Reserves. Melbourn needed to win and hope results elsewhere went their way. However, Melbourn s pace in attack with Andrew Morris moved up alongside Ben Wright proved too
MELBOURN secured promotion on Sunday as Mick Walker's team won at Saffron Waldon Reserves.
Melbourn needed to win and hope results elsewhere went their way.
However, Melbourn's pace in attack with Andrew Morris moved up alongside Ben Wright proved too difficult for Saffron Walden to deal with and consequently Melbourn were three to the good inside eleven minutes.
The first came as Morris broke down the left with pace, unfortunately leaving most of his team-mates behind. His cross into the box was nodded clear only to find an on-rushing Ben Fox who controlled and dispatched a powerful volley into the back of the net.
You may also want to watch:
The second came with superb Morris lob before Ben Wright scored an equally impressive third.
Melbourn played much of the second half in the Saffron Walden half and Chaz Hassen set up Ben Fox to smash home a fourth.
- 1 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 2 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 3 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 4 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 5 Historic Mayflower train makes its way through Royston and Meldreth
- 6 In pictures: The Battle of Britain Air Show 2021 at IWM Duxford
- 7 This Hound could run and and run... Sherlock Holmes play was 'a fun evening'
- 8 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 9 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 10 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
It's been a fantastic season for Mick Walker's men which has seen them achieve successive promotions.
This game was never in doubt after the visitors went ahead, and it's no surprise that they have only conceded three goals in their last 15 matches.
Melbourn now wait to see if Duxford can win all of their final six games as failure to do so will hand Melbourn the title and cap off a magnificant season for the team.