Melbourn judo star Reid claims British silver medal
- Credit: Archant
Emma Reid claimed a silver medal for Melbourn Judo Club at the British National Championship and squad trials in Sheffield.
Reid, competing in the senior event, needed less than a minute to win all of her four pool fights via ippon.
The 21-year-old triumphed in the medal pool with the same result to face 2016 Olympian Natalie Powell in the final.
She took the fight to Powell and was close to throwing her a few times but eventually lost to superior strength and experience.
Reid remains British number two in her weight category after her strong performance.
Clubmates Toby Beamis and Matthew Boyce fought well in the junior event (17-19 year-olds) on Saturday, but their lack of experience saw them fail to make the medal round.
- 1 Women trapped in vehicle after A10 crash
- 2 8,000 homes plan criticised over ‘hidden green belt destruction’
- 3 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products
- 4 'Simply amazing' - dad's life saved by air ambulance after mystery seizure
- 5 MPs respond to lockdown drinks party scandal
- 6 EastEnders' Adam Woodyatt and Laurie Brett reunited on stage in Looking Good Dead at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 7 Fire crews tackle M11 car blaze
- 8 Two North Herts councillors sent council tax summons
- 9 Town pays tribute to 'Mr Royston' who made huge contribution to community
- 10 Town's biggest employer pays tribute to late F John Smith's 'vision and commitment'