Melbourn Judo Club crown four area champions, two silver medallists and gain a bronze in Eastern Area closed championships
- Credit: Archant
Melbourn Judo Club players from all age groups took part in the Eastern Area closed championships, resulting in four area champions, two silver medallists and a bronze.
Hamish Cameron, aged 43, tested out his recent knee operation with great success, winning the men’s U81kg category with a stunning foot sweep, see picture right.
Matthew Boyce, 14, and Jacob Hanson, 13, both became area champions in the 12-15 age group.
In the U12s event, Jack Taylor, 11, took gold.
Lara Haslam, eight, only lost out to a 10-year old national medallist for her silver medal, while Brandon Keeling, eight, was also only beaten by a much older and more experienced player.
You may also want to watch:
Both are very exciting prospects for the club.
Rafe Sims, aged nine, and Fin Stevenson, also nine, fought hard and gained some good contest experience, with Rafe picking up a bronze.
- 1 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 2 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 3 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 4 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 5 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 6 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 7 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 8 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 9 Margaret House residential home celebrates 50th anniversary milestone
- 10 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
Dina, aged 13, had a tough pool and was out of the medals this time.
Meanwhile, Emma Reid took gold at the Senior Welsh Open in Cardiff.
She is now GB ranked fourth in the U70kg category behind Olympian Sally Conway, Commonwealth champion, Megan Fletcher and world junior silver medallist Ebony Drysdale-Daley.