Melbourn in stalemate
MELBOURN could not extend their lead at the top of BIS Division 1A after a stalemate away at Fulbourne Institute Reserves. Both teams were unable to get a foot-hold in the match during the opening stages opening exchanges but Fulbourn let the visitors off
MELBOURN could not extend their lead at the top of BIS Division 1A after a stalemate away at Fulbourne Institute Reserves.
Both teams were unable to get a foot-hold in the match during the opening stages opening exchanges but Fulbourn let the visitors off the hook by spurning a glorious opportunity which proved to be the host's best opportunity.
Ben Fox and Jason Gray both had excellent games in midfield as Melbourn began to squeeze the life out of Fulbourn.
Andrew Morris had a strong penalty appeal waved away and Kris Watters blazed two chances over the bar from long-range.
Melbourn's best chance came after a flowing counterattack which saw Morris race down the left to set up Fox who had his effort clawed away by the 'keeper.
Melbourn started the second half the brighter team and both Jason Gray and substitute Carl Chadwick had decent efforts to take the lead.
- 1 Royston judoka Reid relishing Commonwealth Games chance
- 2 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 3 Bassingbourn Village College students win Pitch for the Prize competition
- 4 Tractors take to the streets to raise money for hospital
- 5 7 of the most beautiful churches in Hertfordshire
- 6 What to see in the sky in July: Year's biggest supermoon and meteor showers
- 7 Royston Museum finally reopens following two-year closure
- 8 'Hooded thieves' stole three vehicles
- 9 Royston Town Council declares climate emergency
- 10 Census data reveals Hertfordshire population boom over last decade
It was perhaps a testament to Melbourn's hard work that 'keeper Mark Ferrari had nothing to save all game but they were unable to find the all important break through and had to settle for a point.
Melbourn remain in pole position in Division 1A and entertain the physical Steeple Bumpstead at home this coming Saturday as they look to stretch their lead.