Melbourn fightback earns a point
Melbourn 2 Fulbourn Inst. Res 2
MELBOURN showed great character to turn around a two-goal deficit at home to Fulbourn Institute Reserves on Saturday.
Melbourn were restricted to half-chances in the first half and, although they used possession well, were unable carve out any openings.
Fulbourn took the lead midway through the first half when their forward latched onto a mistimed Ash Bryan header that went backwards and, after Mark Ferrari had saved the first effort, the ball returned to the forward whose mishit second effort crept in at the far post after wrong-footing Tom Staley on the line.
Melbourn reacted well and created their best effort of the game when Andrew Morris’ deep cross was headed over by Carl Chadwick from a tight angle.
You may also want to watch:
Melbourn were disappointed at having gone in behind and set about the second half with purpose. However, in the opening minutes they found themselves further behind when a long clearance by the away ‘keeper was not dealt with and the forward raced through to lob Ferrari.
The second goal kick-started Melbourn and Ben Fox, in particular, inspired a second half revival.
- 1 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 2 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 3 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 4 Hotel has everything you need for a relaxing staycation
- 5 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 6 PM set to announce postponement of lockdown easing today
- 7 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 8 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 9 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
- 10 7 things to do, places to go and gift experiences for dad this Father's Day
Melbourn pulled one back when lofted through ball held up enough so that Andrew Gray could beat the keeper to the ball and head past him from the edge of the area before Dom Holt made sure on the line.
Melbourn then restored parity when Morris’ corner was met with a bullet header by Fox.
Melbourn could have won it in the closing stages but a diving header from Chadwick was magnificently clawed away by the away ‘keeper.
Melbourn: Ferrari, Patman, Staley, Bryan, Monahan, Chadwick, J Gray, Fox, Morris, A Gray, Holt (Hassen).