Melbourn start league season with five-star show against Litlington Athletic
- Credit: Archant
Melbourn made an almost perfect start to the new Cambridgeshire County League season with a 5-1 win over neighbours Litlington Athletic.
They made the perfect start after just four minutes of the Junior Two A Division clash, James Gwynn heading home Josh Sewell’s cross, and Sewell himself went close on a couple of occasions before half-time.
Kieran Butler too had an effort superbly saved by the Litlington goalkeeper and soon after the break the hosts equalised with a simple header from a corner.
It was only in the final quarter when Melbourn found another gear.
Lee Smith’s stooping header made it 2-1 and Ben Fox hit the third with a well-taken finish.
You may also want to watch:
Five minutes later an identical passage of play resulted in Fox being fouled in the box and he despatched the penalty for number four and great work again from Smith set up Eamon Henderson for number five.
- 1 Village school's annual fayre is a big hit
- 2 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 3 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
- 4 Safety concerns continue in final days of travel hub consultation
- 5 Margaret House residential home celebrates 50th anniversary milestone
- 6 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 7 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 8 Historic Mayflower train makes its way through Royston and Meldreth
- 9 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 10 Hunt the hearts at town trail to raise money for charity