Melbourn start league season with five-star show against Litlington Athletic
- Credit: Archant
Melbourn made an almost perfect start to the new Cambridgeshire County League season with a 5-1 win over neighbours Litlington Athletic.
They made the perfect start after just four minutes of the Junior Two A Division clash, James Gwynn heading home Josh Sewell’s cross, and Sewell himself went close on a couple of occasions before half-time.
Kieran Butler too had an effort superbly saved by the Litlington goalkeeper and soon after the break the hosts equalised with a simple header from a corner.
It was only in the final quarter when Melbourn found another gear.
Lee Smith’s stooping header made it 2-1 and Ben Fox hit the third with a well-taken finish.
You may also want to watch:
Five minutes later an identical passage of play resulted in Fox being fouled in the box and he despatched the penalty for number four and great work again from Smith set up Eamon Henderson for number five.
- 1 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 2 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 3 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 4 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 5 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
- 6 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 7 Magpas chief executive 'surprised and honoured' by MBE
- 8 Have you visited the Orwell Clunch Pit? New sign tells of unique site's significance
- 9 Raise the roof! Church lead replaced two years on from theft
- 10 How do North East Herts and South Cambs fare in the latest boundary review proposals?