Melbourn start league season with five-star show against Litlington Athletic
- Credit: Archant
Melbourn made an almost perfect start to the new Cambridgeshire County League season with a 5-1 win over neighbours Litlington Athletic.
They made the perfect start after just four minutes of the Junior Two A Division clash, James Gwynn heading home Josh Sewell’s cross, and Sewell himself went close on a couple of occasions before half-time.
Kieran Butler too had an effort superbly saved by the Litlington goalkeeper and soon after the break the hosts equalised with a simple header from a corner.
It was only in the final quarter when Melbourn found another gear.
Lee Smith’s stooping header made it 2-1 and Ben Fox hit the third with a well-taken finish.
You may also want to watch:
Five minutes later an identical passage of play resulted in Fox being fouled in the box and he despatched the penalty for number four and great work again from Smith set up Eamon Henderson for number five.
- 1 Power cut affects nearly 9,000 homes and businesses
- 2 Closing the New QEII at night permanently still to be considered
- 3 Two arrested after drugs raid in Bassingbourn
- 4 Fraudster jailed after £60,000 shopping spree
- 5 Granta surgeries deliver COVID-19 vaccinations
- 6 Mass vaccine centre opening marks 'big step forward' in beating COVID-19
- 7 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 8 Campaigners write to MPs opposing trade deal which is of 'great concern to local people'
- 9 Mass vaccination centre in town 'first' to open next week
- 10 Wonder Woman flies into IWM Duxford for movie scenes