Melbourn defeat rivals Newmarket
Melbourn Squash Club round-up
MELBOURN Squash Club’s Men’s Is beat close rivals Newmarket 4-1 last Monday evening.
Captain Paul Heath (fifth string) was first to chalk up a win before Les Stockley (fourth) also won. Ian Blows (second) wasn’t so fortunate but Dan Easton (third) won his match 3-1. Mark Oppen (first) applied the gloss with a 3-1 win to give Melbourn an overall win of 17-5.
Melbourn IIs lost 4-1 to Comberton IIs in what was a key relegation match last Wednesday.
Matt Walker (fifth), Steve Durrant (fourth), Gareth Jones and David Malinge all lost their matches while Katie Bradshaw restored some pride with an excellent 3-1 win. However Comberton ran out 18-6 winners.
Melbourn Ladies produced the result of the week with a 14-8 win over second placed Saffron Walden.
Lucy Robertson (fifth) and Roberta Griggs (fourth) both lost their matches while Frances Smith (third) won her match 3-1.
- 1 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 2 Grandad celebrates 18th sailing championship win
- 3 Hertfordshire under Met Office yellow warning for storms
- 4 Vintage tractor run to raise money for churches
- 5 Three rail and bus strikes in London and the East this week
- 6 One of a kind Second World War aircraft to fly in historic flypast at IWM Duxford’s Battle of Britain Air Show 2022
- 7 'Hitchin is the only place I've felt accepted'
- 8 Johnson Matthey to build £80 million 'gigafactory' in Royston
- 9 Everything you need to know about the August train driver strike
- 10 MP hosts gathering for Ukrainian refugees
Lynne Hays evened the scores with a 3-1 win of her own which meant it was down to Katie Bradshaw to give her team the win – and she didn’t disappoint with a clinical 3-0 victory.