Melbourn are up the Creake with shield loss

Wisbech St Mary 1 Melbourn 0 A POOR performance saw Melbourn s Creake Shield dreams end at the semi-final stage, on Saturday. Having beaten four Division One sides on their way to achieving a place in the last four, it was a disappointing team eff

Wisbech St Mary 1 Melbourn 0

A POOR performance saw Melbourn's Creake Shield dreams end at the semi-final stage, on Saturday.

Having beaten four Division One sides on their way to achieving a place in the last four, it was a disappointing team effort as Melbourn failed to dispense with very average Division 2B opponents, creating few worthwhile goal attempts throughout the match.

Richardson came close in the first 10 minutes, striking the home bar with a shot from the edge of the penalty box, and pressure continued with Watters and Ogilvie doing their best to break through the St Mary defensive line.

On 22 minutes however, the strong home centre-forward turned Gray in the box and fired, what proved to be the winning goal, just right of Williams outstretched palms.

Having the wind behind them in the second 45 minutes, Melbourn saw little action in their own half as they enjoyed the majority of possession inside the Wisbech half.

Most Read

Ogilvie cleverly wormed his was through the home defence and with just the keeper to beat from five yards, chipped the ball at an ideal height for the keeper to make a point blank save.

After 20 minutes of the second half, Gray was taken out of defence and pushed into midfield where his effort, the best of the day, saw his volley pushed over the home bar for a corner.

Williams weaved his way through on 75 minutes but his left foot effort went just wide, and in the dying minutes, Melbourn felt that they were denied a penalty when the ball clearly struck the arm of a St Mary defender, but the referee adjudged that he gained no advantage, and the visitors' cup hopes came to an end.

Hundon 0 Foxton 0

FOXTON maintained their good run with a goalless draw at league leaders Hundon.

The game started evenly with both teams trying to settle, neither creating any chances, the uneven pitch not helping to produce a high standard of football.

Foxton were forced into an early change and team reshuffle when full back Vincenzo Spina injured his ankle after 20 minutes.

Player manager Sean Audley returned from injury to partner Adam Fields up front. This change benefited Foxton as they started to impose themselves more on the Hundon defence.

The game however was still very tight and the only chance of the half for either team came from a Foxton free kick taken by Ally Flack which ended up after some confusion at Andy Gray's feet but he was unable to finish.

The game became more open during second half but chances were still limited. It was Foxton who can claim to have the best of these as they were quick to react to any loose ball in the Hundon area.

The combination of strong Gray throws and Audley flick-ons led to chances for both Fields and Chris Aristo which were excellently saved by the impressive Hundon goalkeeper.

The home team had their moments of pressure also, but the only chance of any real threat was a back post header which was neatly saved by Andy Cambridge in the Foxton goal.

Foxton were looking to avenge the last minute winner for Hundon in the game earlier in the season and nearly came close to getting a late winner of their own.

Audley had his turn then shot blocked on the six yard box, then, Iain Tokley saw his effort from the rebound saved as it was destined to win the match for the visitors.

- Danny Smith and Chris Coates each scored hat-tricks as Foxton reserves hammered Grampian reserves 9-1. Nick Edwards added a brace, while Paul Webber scored his first goal for the club in 10 years of playing.

Whittlesford Utd Res 6 Steeple Morden 1

STEEPLE returned to action after three weeks inactivity and suffered their heaviest defeat of the season.

The scoreline flattered the hosts who played good football but also had the benefit of the key decisions and some good fortune.

A free header gave Whittlesford the lead, although Steeple thought they had equalised when Karl Parr volleyed home a flick on from Paul Hutley but it was disallowed for a foul throw by Andy Smith.

A fine solo effort made it 2-0 but again Steeple responded when the dynamic Charlie Prothero surged forward and found Karl Parr but his 15 yard effort cannoned back off the upright.

It was 3-0 at half-time after a clearance from the solid Jim Watters hit a home player and the rebound was slotted in.

Steeple started the second half the strongest and Joe Morris had the ball in the net but was denied by a marginal offside decision.

As Steeple continued to press they were caught by two more direct attacks leaving them five down which was particularly harsh on Graham Collins who defended stoutly throughout.

Karl Parr converted a Prothero corner to give Steeple a consolation goal but the home side restored their five goal advantage immediately from the restart.

The final whistle ended the misery for Steeple who hope to return to winning ways at home against Harston on Saturday.

Steeple: B Sarll, B Morris, G Collins, J Watters, A Smith, M Holt, P Hutley, J Murphy, C Prothero, J Morris, K Parr