Melbourn are crowned county champions
- Credit: Archant
Melbourn Squash Club are the Cambridgeshire Ladies champions for the first time in the club’s history.
Melbourn were only a handful of points away from the title prior to their penultimate match with closest challengers, and defending champions, Hunts County 1sts.
A 3-0 win for Frances Smith had Melbourn on course, and though there was a stutter when Lynne Hays was beaten 3-2, two more straight game victories for Kate Bradshaw and Sam Pluck gave them a 19-3 victory on the night.
That left the final match at Cambridge as a celebration, Melbourn winning 20-2.
Skipper Hays said: “This was a real team effort, with Kate and Frances losing only one match each throughout the season, and the rest only losing three each.”
You may also want to watch:
Melbourn’s mixed 1st team face a relegation play-off against Division Two runner-up Leys to retain their Cambs Division One status.
- 1 A505 campaigner on safety improvement progress and wrong-way driver near-miss
- 2 Kite Festival cancelled after lockdown extension
- 3 Grandmother runs Royston in Blue 5k solo to raise money for charity
- 4 What is happening in our area for Armed Forces Day?
- 5 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 6 Nurses to meet with unvaccinated social care workers to address concerns
- 7 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 8 Uber-style app could mean doorstep bus pick up
- 9 'If I lived three miles away the obstacles would've been lower' - Councillor calls for IVF to be reinstated in Cambs
- 10 Limes Communal Rooms to become Bassingbourn's village hall