Melbourn are crowned county champions
- Credit: Archant
Melbourn Squash Club are the Cambridgeshire Ladies champions for the first time in the club’s history.
Melbourn were only a handful of points away from the title prior to their penultimate match with closest challengers, and defending champions, Hunts County 1sts.
A 3-0 win for Frances Smith had Melbourn on course, and though there was a stutter when Lynne Hays was beaten 3-2, two more straight game victories for Kate Bradshaw and Sam Pluck gave them a 19-3 victory on the night.
That left the final match at Cambridge as a celebration, Melbourn winning 20-2.
Skipper Hays said: “This was a real team effort, with Kate and Frances losing only one match each throughout the season, and the rest only losing three each.”
You may also want to watch:
Melbourn’s mixed 1st team face a relegation play-off against Division Two runner-up Leys to retain their Cambs Division One status.
- 1 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 2 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 3 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 4 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 5 Girl power and horse power prove a winning combination for Meldreth racing driver Lizzy
- 6 Riverdance's 25th anniversary show lifts the roof off Cambridge Corn Exchange
- 7 Award-winning CADS production at Royston Arts Festival
- 8 In pictures: The Battle of Britain Air Show 2021 at IWM Duxford
- 9 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 10 Charlie and Stan slapstick homage riffs on the pair's clowning skills at Cambridge Arts Theatre