Max power seals Colts’ win

Riverside Hibernian U-12 2 Royston Town Colts A 3 TWO well-taken first half goals from Jake Benstead and Max McLean set Colts on their way in this potentially awkward away county cup tie at Watford Friendly League side, Riverside Hibernian. Showing tre

Riverside Hibernian U-12 2

Royston Town Colts A 3

TWO well-taken first half goals from Jake Benstead and Max McLean set Colts on their way in this potentially awkward away county cup tie at Watford Friendly League side, Riverside Hibernian.

Showing tremendous commitment from the first whistle, Colts took the game to the home side and could have had a hatful of goals but for the woodwork and some excellent goalkeeping.

Ashley Chapman was in terrific form at the back, marshalling Colts' defence and launching several attacks as the visitors cruised into the break.

Colts took their foot off the pedal at the start of the second period and the home team took full advantage, pulling one back with a speculative effort on the right before equalizing from a superbly-taken free kick.

Most Read

This sparked Colts back to life as they mounted wave upon wave of attacks on the Riverside goal, Jack Bailey, Conor Saggers, Benstead and McLean all going close before Saggers raced onto a great ball from Chapman to secure Colts' passage into the next round.

Letchworth Eagles Yellows 13

Melbourn Dynamo Tigers 0

IT'S not often a team wins 13-0 without playing really brilliantly, but this was one of those days.

Letchworth were just too strong for Melbourn, and without some great saves from the Melbourn keeper, the score could have been even bigger.

Five Letchworth goals resulted from good movement and quick, precise passing.

The best of them was the second. Chris Moore made a lovely run down the line, passed into Jordan Leech-Lev's feet who found Adam Morris racing into the box to smash the ball into the back of the net.

Leech-Lev scored four times, the last being the best as he wisely ignored some goal hungry team mates to score a fine individual effort.

Even though the game was over as a competition early on, praise must be given to Melbourn. They never let their heads drop, and even in the second half, they continued to make great efforts to get something from the match.

But with the Yellows strength in midfield and determined defence, this was never going to happen.

Sawbridgeworth U-10 A 15

Bassingbourn A 0

THERE were no positives to take from Bassingbourn A team's trip to Sawbridgeworth at the weekend, the team turned up in body but not in spirit.

A sluggish team, lacking energy and coordination proved easy prey for a dominant Sawbridgeworth.

They were outclassed in passing, possession and most importantly in finishing ability.

The few opportunities they had never challenged the Sawbridgeworth defence or the goalkeeper.

Whereas at the other end of the pitch the speed and precision of the opposition, opened up the floodgates for a 15-0 defeat.

- On the other pitch however a totally different story was unfolding. Due to other commitments Bassingbourn B team were forced to play with six players.

Bass' could have sat back to play a more defensive game, however some crisp passing into the box and strong support from Aresti in the midfield gave O'Connor the opening goal for the visitors Sawbridgeworth were soon back in the game and levelled after a good move from a throw in.

The visiting side continued to press and Cook used his speed to open up the home defence to score before half time

Shortly after the re-start O'Connor added another thanks to a great finish from a corner. Sawbridgeworth maintained pressure and got their second.

Cook again capitalised on a good through ball to get his second of the day, but it was O'Connor who was to end up player of the match scoring his third thanks to the support of his team-mates as Bass' wrapped up a 5-2 win.

Eynesbury Rovers 1

Baldock Town Youth Templars 5

IT TOOK Baldock five minutes to open their account, Nicholson with a quick run down the wing and a good cross was met by Judges.

Then Nicholson and Judges combined again, this time a well worked corner setting up Massey for Baldock's second.

Baldock suffered a brief scare when a long kick over the top caught out the otherwise solid defence and Rovers were back in the game.

Rovers hopes did not last long though. Massey taking an excellent free kick from just outside the box to put Baldock 3-1 up.

Five minutes later and another excellent run by Nicholson forced a penalty and Massey stepped up to complete his hat-trick for the second week running.

Massey then made it 5-1 following in a shot by Close that the goalkeeper could only parry.

Rovers won a penalty of their own just before half time, but Taylor made a superb save low to his right and Rovers must have known it was not to be their day.

The second half saw numerous efforts on goal by Baldock, with Nicholson and Foster creating chances down both wings, but Rovers had pulled everyone back and defended bravely to keep Baldock out.

Royston Town Colts A U-8 3

Stotfold A 2

COLTS put in another fine performance fighting back from two goals down to win 3-2.

Despite having most of the play, Royston found themselves 2-0 down at the break, but it was maybe goal of the season from Connor Madden as Royston began the fight back after fine work by Kye Jones slipped the ball to Connor, with one look hitting the ball from 20 yards out straight into the top corner.

In the second half Royston pushed on with George Pemberton and Jake O'Brien going close.

But once again Connor Madden's quick thinking hit an early shot from a Jack Logan pass which took a deflection sending the keeper the wrong way.

As the game drew to a close, man-of-the-match Charlie Dobson and Josh Sartini holding strong in defence Royston broke clear which Stofold gave away a corner.

From the resulting corner the ball was half cleared only to fall to Connor Madden who fired it back in only to see the unlucky keeper turn it back into his own goal.

n Max Logan's second half goal ensured that Colts B took a share of the spoils at Stotfold.

Royston Colts U-10 A 0

Baldock Town Templars 2

A DISAPPOINTING display saw Colts lose their first home game of the season.

The game was evenly balanced, with few chances and the teams went in level at half time.

A spirited team talk seemed to have some effect and the early parts of the first half brought some promising moves.

A Baldock attack brought a speculative effort from outside the area which seemed to go past most players on the field and into the back of the Colts net.

This seemed to kick the life into Colts and they were unfortunate not to score when Reece King went through one on one with the keeper, only for the keeper to make a fine save.

A string of half chances followed and Richard Jonas also had a good chance when he found himself unmarked at the back post but pulled his shot wide.

Baldock finished Colts off with a deflected shot that looped over the keeper three minutes form the end.

Royston Colts U-10 A 3

Baldock Town Templars 3

THE B team carried on where they left off last week, they started brightly passing the ball around well in midfield and creating a number of half chances if the opening exchanges.

However, it was a piece if individual brilliance from Jake Long which created the first goal, weaving between three Baldock players in the area to slot the ball home past the keeper.

Colts continued to play some exciting football and created a number of openings with Long and George Wheeler-Bailey linking up well in the midfield.

Jack Freeman produced a piece of brilliant individual skill when he turned in the Colts half leaving his marker and powered into the Baldock half, he laid the ball into the box, the ball re-bounded out onto the edge of the box and he half-volleyed the ball back superbly to score.

The final goal saw Colts produce a fine piece of team play, Freeman knocking a great ball down the line for Long who went passed one defender and squared the ball into the box for Wheeler-Bailey to time his run and slot the ball home with ease.

Royston Town Colts U-14 A 2

Potton Colts Whites 1

ROYSTON started their League Cup campaign brightly and were the only team in the game for the first 10 minutes, but with their first venture into the Royston half, Potton struck, with a superbly taken goal.

Undeterred, Royston continued to dominate, and Steve Archibald having had three good chances saved by the inspired Potton keeper, eventually found the back of the net for a well-deserved equaliser.

Royston continued to press, Ollie Fisher going close with a drive, which the keeper tipped over the bar.

Soon after Dan Gilbert saw his shot go just wide of the post. The outstanding Charlie Stafford was at the hub of everything in midfield, causing Potton problems each time he got the ball.

Royston eventually took the lead shortly before the break after some good work by Dan Watkinson, whose cross was put away by the ever-dangerous Archibald.

There were no further goals in the second half as Potton continued to frustrate Royston, playing well above their Division Four status.

They created several chances of their own, but the Royston defence, well marshalled by captain Michael Pinner, stood firm, with the impressive Liam Brammal still finding time to join the Royston attack when the chance arose.

Archibald, Fisher, and Calum Chapple all had chances to put the game beyond all doubts before the final whistle blew.

Hormead Hares U-10 1

Pin Green Juniors 2

IN A highly entertaining game Hares A narrowly lost 2-1 to a sporting Pin Green team.

After Green had opened the scoring, Edward Worby equalised with a fine strike.

However the visitors regained the lead, and despite a fine performance from Robert Brain in goal Hares could not find the equaliser.