Mavericks win again
HERTFORDSHIRE Mavericks away day to Newcastle netted them another two points after a convincing victory as they head into the Co-operative Superleague play-offs. The visitors, who dominated the match from start to finish, were 16-7 ahead after 15 minute
HERTFORDSHIRE Mavericks' away day to Newcastle netted them another two points after a convincing victory as they head into the Co-operative Superleague play-offs.
The visitors, who dominated the match from start to finish, were 16-7 ahead after 15 minutes and stretched into a 28-16 lead by half-time thanks largely to Monique Wood who was outstanding in the circle.
Northumbria fielded a young side against a Mavericks team who is honing its skills before the Superleague play-offs.
By the final whistle Hertfordshire Mavericks had scored twice as many as Northumbria and boosted their goal difference.
You may also want to watch:
The Mavericks are currently fourth in the league table and on current form, they have a very good chance of winning the play-offs although they face a tough match against Northern Thunder this Saturday.
Coach Maggie Jackson said: "It was a solid performance, a good game and although still bit inconsistent we finished with a flourish.
- 1 Two arrested after drugs raid in Bassingbourn
- 2 Wonder Woman flies into IWM Duxford for movie scenes
- 3 Mass vaccine centre opening marks 'big step forward' in beating COVID-19
- 4 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 5 Granta surgeries deliver COVID-19 vaccinations
- 6 Fraudster jailed after £60,000 shopping spree
- 7 'Heavy snow' expected across Hertfordshire from tomorrow
- 8 Housing first battleground in mayor elections for Cambridgeshire
- 9 Thriplow's Baroness Boothroyd slams government vaccine strategy
- 10 Make the A505 Safer: Improvement works to continue in 2021
"I was pleased with the shooting statistics and pleased with the way ball was being brought through the court in the last 15 minutes.
Team Northumbria's Barbara Brown added: "We played some good netball in parts but we lost concentration and Mavericks pulled away from us.
"However, this was a great opportunity for some of the younger players to get court time against a good team.
"Mavericks will need to have all of their players fit to win the Grand Final but they have such depth that I believe they can do it.