Mavericks move into play-offs
HERTFORDSHIRE Mavericks beat Loughborough Lightning on Monday night to secure their spot in the Co-operative Netball Superleague play-offs. Mavericks were without England internationals Louisa Brownfield and Naida Hutchinson for the clash owing to injury
HERTFORDSHIRE Mavericks beat Loughborough Lightning on Monday night to secure their spot in the Co-operative Netball Superleague play-offs.
Mavericks were without England internationals Louisa Brownfield and Naida Hutchinson for the clash owing to injury, but it mattered little in the end as Mavericks had enough to edge Lightning over the course of the match.
Both sides started this match with gusto, but it was Lightning who raced into an early 8-2 lead before the hosts reduced the deficit to two at the quarter break.
The Mavericks players' heads were finally switched on going into second quarter, although it took another two minutes before they took the lead (12-11).
You may also want to watch:
Every goal was battled for in this quarter with the crowd being treated to long periods of possession as the teams patiently worked the ball into a scoring position.
There was no let up from either side in the final quarter and, while not as fast and furious as the first 15, skill levels remained high and Amanda Newton was making things very tough for Jo Harten in the circle.
- 1 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 2 'If I lived three miles away the obstacles would've been lower' - Councillor calls for IVF to be reinstated in Cambs
- 3 Young Crows net funding for club improvements
- 4 Network Rail seeks green light for Cambridge South station
- 5 Flasher who attacked officers appears in court
- 6 Families celebrate Father's Day at IWM Duxford
- 7 Have you seen missing parrot Charlie?
- 8 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 9 Hallmark Trophy decided in close-run contest at Heydon Grange Golf Club
- 10 Plenty of Covid vaccines available for over 23s
Mavericks held firm to close out the game 44-39 and took take the points but only after being given a thorough workout by Lightning, and they now hope to get home advantage in the play-offs.