Mavericks move into play-offs
HERTFORDSHIRE Mavericks beat Loughborough Lightning on Monday night to secure their spot in the Co-operative Netball Superleague play-offs. Mavericks were without England internationals Louisa Brownfield and Naida Hutchinson for the clash owing to injury
HERTFORDSHIRE Mavericks beat Loughborough Lightning on Monday night to secure their spot in the Co-operative Netball Superleague play-offs.
Mavericks were without England internationals Louisa Brownfield and Naida Hutchinson for the clash owing to injury, but it mattered little in the end as Mavericks had enough to edge Lightning over the course of the match.
Both sides started this match with gusto, but it was Lightning who raced into an early 8-2 lead before the hosts reduced the deficit to two at the quarter break.
The Mavericks players' heads were finally switched on going into second quarter, although it took another two minutes before they took the lead (12-11).
Every goal was battled for in this quarter with the crowd being treated to long periods of possession as the teams patiently worked the ball into a scoring position.
There was no let up from either side in the final quarter and, while not as fast and furious as the first 15, skill levels remained high and Amanda Newton was making things very tough for Jo Harten in the circle.
- 1 Fine issued after rubbish fly-tipped in country lane
- 2 Man sentenced for handling stolen goods - including designer watch, clothes and laptop
- 3 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 4 MPs remain silent on whether they have confidence in PM
- 5 Cyclist in hospital with life-threatening injuries after crash
- 6 Royston Golf Club donates £1,000 to hospice
- 7 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 8 Bank cards, electrical items and jewellery stolen in burglary
- 9 Ian Stewart 'appeared odd' at wife Diane's funeral, court hears
- 10 Drug dealer jailed after being found with heroin and crack cocaine
Mavericks held firm to close out the game 44-39 and took take the points but only after being given a thorough workout by Lightning, and they now hope to get home advantage in the play-offs.