Matt, 16, Rolls up for award
ONE of Hertfordshire s top young bowls players has attended the English Bowling Association Presentation and collected his Championship Cup. Sixteen-year-old Matt Coppen of Kingsway, Royston, is widely regarded as one of the country s leading bowling tal
ONE of Hertfordshire's top young bowls players has attended the English Bowling Association Presentation and collected his Championship Cup.
Sixteen-year-old Matt Coppen of Kingsway, Royston, is widely regarded as one of the country's leading bowling talents, and despite his age is already the National Under 25s singles champion.
Matt who plays for Royston Bowling Club, travelled to the Connought Rooms in West London in a Rolls Royce to collect the award.
At the presentations Matt also received his light blue England Blazer and his England tie and badge.
Matt's mum Liz said: "This is the first big national trophy that Matt has won and he was absolutely delighted to have won the trophy.
"It was a great night when he received the award, which is a very big thing for him.
- 1 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 2 Stansted Airport and Cambridge trains disrupted after tree falls on tracks
- 3 Bank of England warns people have 100 days to use old £20 and £50 notes
- 4 Artists open up in record numbers for Cambridge Open Studios 2022
- 5 Wanted burglar caught in Grafton Centre with 'hoard of stolen goods'
- 6 Herts police officers shared rape 'jokes' and bestiality porn on WhatsApp
- 7 IN PICTURES: Wills and Kate visit Cambridgeshire's first County Day
- 8 Pictures of Duxford Summer Air Show 2022 at IWM Duxford
- 9 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 10 Met Office weather: Yellow thunderstorm warning for East of England
"But he's very cool and collected and took it all in his stride.
"We are very proud, especially as he's been selected to play for England.
"He's very talented and we hope he can keep doing well."
As a result of his National Under 25 title, Matt has now been selected to play for the England under-25 team that will travel to Perth in Scotland next summer for the British Championships.