Martial Arts: First, second and third for GMax Academy students
- Credit: Archant
Three youngsters from Royston’s GMax Academy secured gold, silver and bronze at the WTKA British Championships in Sheffield on Sunday.
Jake Grimes, 10, came first and was crowned the new British Champion while his brother, Reese, eight, secured third place in the Chinese Forms event. George Stanway, nine, earned the silver medal.
Earlier in the day, the Jake and George performed a Chinese broadsword routine in the Tradition Weapon Section. Although they are both several grades below, the category saw them compete against two Brown Belts and three Black Belts, who were all performing a Japanese Bo Staff routine.
Having beaten the brown belt competitors, the black belts narrowly pushed the duo out of the medal places.
GMax head coach Glen Stanway said: “I am so proud of these kids. This tournament was sprung on us with just over a week’s notice. They all performed brilliantly, and against much more senior opposition too.
“Even the judges took them to one side at the end of the tournament to compliment them on having such a good standard at this stage in their training.”
He added: “We have a few more tournaments lined up this year, and should have a bigger team for the next one, which will hopefully mean more silverware coming our way.”
- 1 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 2 'Hooded thieves' stole three vehicles
- 3 Royston Town Council declares climate emergency
- 4 Can you complete the Census 2021 map game?
- 5 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 6 Royston Bloomsday marks 100th anniversary of James Joyce's novel
- 7 Vehicles, greenhouse and fence 'smashed' in Royston
- 8 Little Seedlings workshops to teach budding gardeners this summer
- 9 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 10 Property: How could the new laws for renters affect you?
GMax teaches Kung Fu and Kickboxing classes in Royston, for children and adults. For further details, visit the website gmax.me.uk or call Glen Stanway on 07563 755 199’