Martial Arts: First, second and third for GMax Academy students
- Credit: Archant
Three youngsters from Royston’s GMax Academy secured gold, silver and bronze at the WTKA British Championships in Sheffield on Sunday.
Jake Grimes, 10, came first and was crowned the new British Champion while his brother, Reese, eight, secured third place in the Chinese Forms event. George Stanway, nine, earned the silver medal.
Earlier in the day, the Jake and George performed a Chinese broadsword routine in the Tradition Weapon Section. Although they are both several grades below, the category saw them compete against two Brown Belts and three Black Belts, who were all performing a Japanese Bo Staff routine.
Having beaten the brown belt competitors, the black belts narrowly pushed the duo out of the medal places.
GMax head coach Glen Stanway said: “I am so proud of these kids. This tournament was sprung on us with just over a week’s notice. They all performed brilliantly, and against much more senior opposition too.
You may also want to watch:
“Even the judges took them to one side at the end of the tournament to compliment them on having such a good standard at this stage in their training.”
He added: “We have a few more tournaments lined up this year, and should have a bigger team for the next one, which will hopefully mean more silverware coming our way.”
- 1 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 2 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 3 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 4 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 5 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 6 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 7 This Hound could run and and run... Sherlock Holmes play was 'a fun evening'
- 8 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 9 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 10 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
GMax teaches Kung Fu and Kickboxing classes in Royston, for children and adults. For further details, visit the website gmax.me.uk or call Glen Stanway on 07563 755 199’