Martial Arts: First, second and third for GMax Academy students
- Credit: Archant
Three youngsters from Royston’s GMax Academy secured gold, silver and bronze at the WTKA British Championships in Sheffield on Sunday.
Jake Grimes, 10, came first and was crowned the new British Champion while his brother, Reese, eight, secured third place in the Chinese Forms event. George Stanway, nine, earned the silver medal.
Earlier in the day, the Jake and George performed a Chinese broadsword routine in the Tradition Weapon Section. Although they are both several grades below, the category saw them compete against two Brown Belts and three Black Belts, who were all performing a Japanese Bo Staff routine.
Having beaten the brown belt competitors, the black belts narrowly pushed the duo out of the medal places.
GMax head coach Glen Stanway said: “I am so proud of these kids. This tournament was sprung on us with just over a week’s notice. They all performed brilliantly, and against much more senior opposition too.
You may also want to watch:
“Even the judges took them to one side at the end of the tournament to compliment them on having such a good standard at this stage in their training.”
He added: “We have a few more tournaments lined up this year, and should have a bigger team for the next one, which will hopefully mean more silverware coming our way.”
- 1 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 2 Yellow weather warning of thunderstorms in Herts
- 3 Royston Kite Festival decision 'under review' as lockdown extended
- 4 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 5 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 6 Agricultural expert 'over the moon' with MBE
- 7 Bassingbourn reverse trend of losses at Helions Bumpstead with fine win
- 8 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 9 Could you help preserve ponds in Reed?
- 10 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
GMax teaches Kung Fu and Kickboxing classes in Royston, for children and adults. For further details, visit the website gmax.me.uk or call Glen Stanway on 07563 755 199’