Martial Arts: First, second and third for GMax Academy students
- Credit: Archant
Three youngsters from Royston’s GMax Academy secured gold, silver and bronze at the WTKA British Championships in Sheffield on Sunday.
Jake Grimes, 10, came first and was crowned the new British Champion while his brother, Reese, eight, secured third place in the Chinese Forms event. George Stanway, nine, earned the silver medal.
Earlier in the day, the Jake and George performed a Chinese broadsword routine in the Tradition Weapon Section. Although they are both several grades below, the category saw them compete against two Brown Belts and three Black Belts, who were all performing a Japanese Bo Staff routine.
Having beaten the brown belt competitors, the black belts narrowly pushed the duo out of the medal places.
GMax head coach Glen Stanway said: “I am so proud of these kids. This tournament was sprung on us with just over a week’s notice. They all performed brilliantly, and against much more senior opposition too.
“Even the judges took them to one side at the end of the tournament to compliment them on having such a good standard at this stage in their training.”
He added: “We have a few more tournaments lined up this year, and should have a bigger team for the next one, which will hopefully mean more silverware coming our way.”
- 1 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 2 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 3 Stewart 'wasn't distressed and calmly answered questions' at scene of wife's death, paramedic tells court
- 4 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 5 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
- 6 Hero dog sniffs out cash for charity with golf ball mission
- 7 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 8 Ian Stewart murder trial: Killer 'restricted wife's breathing and fabricated epilepsy death'
- 9 Council leader pledges 'we'll hold This Land to account'
- 10 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
GMax teaches Kung Fu and Kickboxing classes in Royston, for children and adults. For further details, visit the website gmax.me.uk or call Glen Stanway on 07563 755 199’