Mark Blundell to race Audi R8 LMS at Spa
ROYSTON-based Mark Blundell is joined by fellow former Grand Prix drivers Eddie Cheever (USA) and Stefan Johansson (Sweden) who will return to the Audi R8 LMS cockpit for a second consecutive year when they contest the Spa 24 Hours this summer.
United Autosports returns to the prestigious Belgian race over July 30-31 with an expanded three-car Audi R8 LMS entry bidding for GT3 class honours – which could include outright victory.
Barnet-born Blundell, aged 44, achieved third in class in last year’s race along with former Indy 500 race winner Cheever, 53, while Los Angeles-based Johansson, 54, steered his V10-engined Audi home in to fourth place.
“Racing at Spa last year proved to be a huge amount of fun while I was very impressed with United Autosports,” said Blundell who scored three podiums from 61 Grand Prix starts.
“The team turned out superbly prepared Audi racecars and it was fantastic to finish on the GT3 podium.
You may also want to watch:
“But I believe there is some more to come and that is why I’m returning. I’ve already finished fourth with the team at Daytona last month and I’m very excited about going back to Spa to compete again in the Audi R8 LMS which is a stunning sportscar.”
Class victory cruelly eluded the British-based team during the closing stages of its maiden twice-around-the-clock race last year but nevertheless claimed excellent third and fourth places in the GT3 classification.
- 1 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 2 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 3 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 4 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 5 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
- 6 Raise the roof! Church lead replaced two years on from theft
- 7 Have you visited the Orwell Clunch Pit? New sign tells of unique site's significance
- 8 Magpas chief executive 'surprised and honoured' by MBE
- 9 Flying day at IWM Duxford commemorates 77th anniversary of D-Day
- 10 How do North East Herts and South Cambs fare in the latest boundary review proposals?
With the faster GT2 category cars not permitted to compete in this year’s race, the Audi R8 LMS GT3 sports cars have a shot of recording an overall victory on this occasion. United Autosports achieved the highest-placed positions in the annual Belgian race for the German manufacturer last year.