Mark Blundell to race Audi R8 LMS at Spa
ROYSTON-based Mark Blundell is joined by fellow former Grand Prix drivers Eddie Cheever (USA) and Stefan Johansson (Sweden) who will return to the Audi R8 LMS cockpit for a second consecutive year when they contest the Spa 24 Hours this summer.
United Autosports returns to the prestigious Belgian race over July 30-31 with an expanded three-car Audi R8 LMS entry bidding for GT3 class honours – which could include outright victory.
Barnet-born Blundell, aged 44, achieved third in class in last year’s race along with former Indy 500 race winner Cheever, 53, while Los Angeles-based Johansson, 54, steered his V10-engined Audi home in to fourth place.
“Racing at Spa last year proved to be a huge amount of fun while I was very impressed with United Autosports,” said Blundell who scored three podiums from 61 Grand Prix starts.
“The team turned out superbly prepared Audi racecars and it was fantastic to finish on the GT3 podium.
You may also want to watch:
“But I believe there is some more to come and that is why I’m returning. I’ve already finished fourth with the team at Daytona last month and I’m very excited about going back to Spa to compete again in the Audi R8 LMS which is a stunning sportscar.”
Class victory cruelly eluded the British-based team during the closing stages of its maiden twice-around-the-clock race last year but nevertheless claimed excellent third and fourth places in the GT3 classification.
- 1 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 2 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 3 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 4 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 5 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 6 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 7 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 8 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 9 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 10 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
With the faster GT2 category cars not permitted to compete in this year’s race, the Audi R8 LMS GT3 sports cars have a shot of recording an overall victory on this occasion. United Autosports achieved the highest-placed positions in the annual Belgian race for the German manufacturer last year.