Maiden championship victory for Royston speedster
- Credit: Archant
It was a stunning race weekend for 21-year-old Superbike racer Luke Mossey from Royston at Silverstone circuit.
The youngster was on fine form all weekend on the Teccare Profile Triumph and took a great third place in the opening race on Saturday and went even better in the main race on Sunday taking his first ever British Supersport win.
After breaking some vertebrae in his back at Oulton Park in July he made his return to Assen gaining some solid results but he was much fitter coming to Silverstone and was eager for strong race results at the circuit that cut short his season last season, where he suffered a broken heel. He had a good qualifying session and ended up on the front row in third place; he rode a really strong race and claimed the final podium spot.
He was feeling strong for the second race on Sunday and he was placed on the second row, in fourth place. He struggled off the start and was lying in sixth after the opening lap, the safety car was deployed on lap four and re-entered the pits at the end of lap six.
He got the drive as the car pulled in and he was soon locked in an extremely fierce battle with Billy McConnell and Alastair Seeley for the win.
You may also want to watch:
It was tooth and nail for the six lap sprint and Luke finally came out with his first Supersport win, taking the win from McConnell by 0.1 of a second.
- 1 Royston Kite Festival decision 'under review' as lockdown extended
- 2 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Mayor ‘wantonly diverted’ £40m of housing cash
- 4 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 5 Agricultural expert 'over the moon' with MBE
- 6 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 7 Could you help preserve ponds in Reed?
- 8 Village leader awarded BEM for community centre build and more
- 9 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 10 Community stalwart who led national effort to help navy veterans during pandemic receives BEM