Magic Mason lifts Royston Town
- Credit: Archant
Rob Mason was the star of the show for Royston Town as his two goals sunk Hanwell Town in Southern League Division One Central.
Mason struck in stoppage time in each half at Garden Walk as the Crows ended the week on a high note following last Tuesday’s home defeat to Thurrock in the FA Cup preliminary round.
His first was a low struck effort following a well-worked Crows corner.
He then netted a second in the 94th minute, this time firing home from the edge of the Hanwell box.
Mason’s goals made it three consecutive matches that the striker has scored, following goals against both St Ives Town and Kings Langley.
You may also want to watch:
The win is also the Crows’ third in succession in the league, and they have now moved up to 11th in the table under manager Steve Castle.
They take a break in action this weekend with their next game a trip to Petersfield Town in the league on September 19.
- 1 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 2 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 3 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 4 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 5 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 6 This Hound could run and and run... Sherlock Holmes play was 'a fun evening'
- 7 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 8 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 9 Hertfordshire's adult social care workers honoured at award ceremony
- 10 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
Elsewhere at the club, Royston Town Ladies kicked off their new season with a 6-0 FA Cup win at Sherrardswood on Sunday.
The match was held at Colney Heath FC and Dani Lewis opened the scoring in the 34th minute.
Sammy Tinsdale then scored twice – one a penalty – to give Royston a 3-0 half-time lead, and three more goals in the second period saw the Crows to a comfortable victory. Tisdale, on debut, completed her hat-trick.
Royston will host Haringey Borough in the next round on September 20.
This Sunday, the ladies host Sawbridgeworth Town in a league game at Garden Walk. Kick-off is 2pm.
Royston Town Reserves put in a mature performance that belied their ages with a 5-2 success away to a previously undefeated Tonbridge Angels Reserves side.
Mitch Cooper scored twice while Harry Cruttenden also scored in the first period to give Town a 3-0 lead.
Tonbridge hit back in the second half before Reece King raced onto Gregg Jackson’s pass to slot home. Tonbridge scored again before Danny Bond notched his side’s fifth late on.
The vets beat Newmarket Town Vets 5-1. Paddy Coughlin, Steve McGee (two), Peter Flack and Chris Geldart all scored.