Mack and Hicks sink Cheshunt

PUBLISHED: 17:11 26 November 2008 | UPDATED: 15:55 11 May 2010

Royston 2 Cheshunt 0 GOALS by Graham Mack and Darren Hicks were enough for Royston to seal the points at home to Cheshunt at the weekend. Even though they were missing all three of their regular forward line, the hosts controlled the match from start to

Royston 2 Cheshunt 0

GOALS by Graham Mack and Darren Hicks were enough for Royston to seal the points at home to Cheshunt at the weekend.

Even though they were missing all three of their regular forward line, the hosts controlled the match from start to finish and with Royston keeper Chris Markham only being called upon once in the game the match was much more one sided than the score suggests.

Much of Royston's attacking play was built down the right flank where they exposed Cheshunt's defensive frailties, and it was from this side of the pitch that Hicks came close to opening the scoring only to see his shot saved.

Mike Welding also found himself with some excellent chances early on but misfired in front of goal.

The away side's only attacking threats came from wild long balls up field, but these gave the Crows little cause for concern.

Eventually Mack's goal broke the deadlock after sustained pressure on the visitors' back line and from a Royston perspective the match should have been over at half time but they only took a slender one goal lead into the break.

The second half brought much of the same but with their need for a second goal the Crows began to look a touch disjointed.

Despite this, they still continued to dominate proceedings and fifteen minuets from the end Hicks struck to ease the nerves of the home side.

Royston are now setting their sights firmly on a tough match away to Stevenage next week.

Royston II 1 Stevenage III 0

WITH Royston only holding off second-placed Stevenage on goal difference they produced a fine defensive display to shut out their guests and snatch a victory in this top of the table clash.

From the whistle both sides looked to take an early lead and the pick of the chances fell to Royston with Nick Freeman smashing the ball into the net from a tight angle.

Stevenage tried to break Royston down but the hosts were equal to the task and some fine defending kept their visitors at bay.

As their opponents pushed forward, the hosts tried to catch them on the break but they were unable to add to their goal by half time.

Stevenage came out fighting in the second half and laid siege to Royston's goal, but a strong defensive display - in particular by Nick Hootons - meant Stevenage were reliant on hopeful hits into the D from poor angles.

Royston did have chances to increase their lead, with Chris Watson, Owen Russell and Nick Freeman all going close, but they were unable to get the ball over the line.

They also had claims for a late penalty turned down, but the win moves them clear at the top of the table.

Royston IV 2 Luton Town III 2

ROYSTON played out a draw on Saturday in their toughest game of the season against a strong Luton side.

Having pressured Royston from the off on a very windy pitch, Luton were hit by a sucker punch when the home team's Steve Gourd picked up the ball in the middle of the pitch, drove it towards the keeper and shot low and hard into the net.

Luton responded by twice hitting the post in the first half, but had to wait until nine minutes after the break to secure an equaliser when the ball struck Tim Yow's foot from a penalty corner, looped into the air and dropped into the goal.

Royston's defenders confronted the umpire as they believed he had already signalled and blown for another penalty corner, but the decision stood and seven minutes later they went 2-1 behind.

Royston continued to pile on pressure and had numerous opportunities to beat the Luton keeper who made some strong saves, but it was a goal line melee on fifty-eight minutes that saw Jan Brynjolffssen pop up to slot home to make the final score 2-2.

Royston V 0 Shefford and Sandy III 2

A DISAPPOINTING performance from Royston's fifth side saw them hand three points to Shefford and Sandy.

Despite some strong defending, the ball never made its way over to the visitors' end of the pitch and Shefford's goalkeeper may as well have not turned up.

At halftime the score stood at 1-0 but could have been more had it not been for some fine defensive work from Brian Mayoss, Pete Gibson and John Collins and some very skilful keeping from Chris Berry.

The second half continued in much the same vein as the first with the forward line not being able to get through the visitors' defence and inevitably Royston's opponents scored again in what was a very disappointing defeat for Royston.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Royston Crow. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Royston Crow