Long journey worth it for Royston Ladies hockey side
Royston Ladies hockey 1sts’ journey to Skegness to take on Alford & District was a worthwhile one as they returned home with a 4-2 triumph.
The opening goal of the game came courtesy of an Alford own goal, and Royston increased it to 2-0 when Kirsty Mckenzie found some space and passed the ball to Ruth Askham who found the top right hand corner of the goal.
Royston’s third goal was a great solo effort from Sophie Gathercole who eliminated several defenders before finding the back of the goal. Alford then hit back and the score at half-time was 3-1.
During the second half Royston were put under some pressure in their own half, but some well timed tackles and patient defending from Harriet Barker and Harriet Shipley kept Royston in the game.
The final goal came from a joint effort from forwards Lucy Richardson and Julie Walsh.
Walsh was the one who finished the goal and secured the 4-2 win for the visitors.
- 1 Trial begins for killer accused of murdering wife
- 2 Time-lapse video: Nightingale surge hub build at Lister Hospital
- 3 Women trapped in vehicle after A10 crash
- 4 8,000 homes plan criticised over ‘hidden green belt destruction’
- 5 Aldi chocolate and yoghurts containing metal among recent recalled products
- 6 Downing Street and its South Cambs connections
- 7 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products
- 8 Two North Herts councillors sent council tax summons
- 9 EastEnders' Adam Woodyatt and Laurie Brett reunited on stage in Looking Good Dead at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 10 'Simply amazing' - dad's life saved by air ambulance after mystery seizure