Long journey worth it for Royston Ladies hockey side
Royston Ladies hockey 1sts’ journey to Skegness to take on Alford & District was a worthwhile one as they returned home with a 4-2 triumph.
The opening goal of the game came courtesy of an Alford own goal, and Royston increased it to 2-0 when Kirsty Mckenzie found some space and passed the ball to Ruth Askham who found the top right hand corner of the goal.
Royston’s third goal was a great solo effort from Sophie Gathercole who eliminated several defenders before finding the back of the goal. Alford then hit back and the score at half-time was 3-1.
During the second half Royston were put under some pressure in their own half, but some well timed tackles and patient defending from Harriet Barker and Harriet Shipley kept Royston in the game.
The final goal came from a joint effort from forwards Lucy Richardson and Julie Walsh.
You may also want to watch:
Walsh was the one who finished the goal and secured the 4-2 win for the visitors.
- 1 Road closed after 'serious' crash on A10
- 2 'FOI request refusal leaves residents in darkness'
- 3 When will bins be collected in North Hertfordshire again?
- 4 County council ploughs £3.4m into farm deal
- 5 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 6 More Royston GP surgeries begin to give COVID-19 vaccinations
- 7 Olly Murs looking forward to touring again
- 8 I will not stop fighting for our chalk streams, says South Cambs MP
- 9 Trial date changed for killer of children's author accused of wife's murder
- 10 Rapid community COVID-19 testing launches in Hertfordshire