Long journey worth it for Royston Ladies hockey side
Royston Ladies hockey 1sts’ journey to Skegness to take on Alford & District was a worthwhile one as they returned home with a 4-2 triumph.
The opening goal of the game came courtesy of an Alford own goal, and Royston increased it to 2-0 when Kirsty Mckenzie found some space and passed the ball to Ruth Askham who found the top right hand corner of the goal.
Royston’s third goal was a great solo effort from Sophie Gathercole who eliminated several defenders before finding the back of the goal. Alford then hit back and the score at half-time was 3-1.
During the second half Royston were put under some pressure in their own half, but some well timed tackles and patient defending from Harriet Barker and Harriet Shipley kept Royston in the game.
The final goal came from a joint effort from forwards Lucy Richardson and Julie Walsh.
You may also want to watch:
Walsh was the one who finished the goal and secured the 4-2 win for the visitors.
- 1 Flasher who attacked officers appears in court
- 2 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 3 Have you seen missing parrot Charlie?
- 4 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 5 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 6 Eight picture-perfect picnic spots across East Anglia
- 7 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 8 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 9 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 10 Community stalwart who led national effort to help navy veterans during pandemic receives BEM