Double Olympic champion shows Royston Rockets the tricks of his trade
- Credit: Archant
Royston BMX Racing Club were given a very special masterclass by an Olympic champion.
Maris Strombergs won the gold medal at the Beijing games in 2008 before successfully defending his title in London four years later.
His time at Lee Valley still stands as one of the fastest BMX times in history.
Strombergs’ UK clinic Tour is now in its second year and sees the Latvian champion travel round the country, passing on his skills to riders at regional and national level as well as training ideas to coaches.
The Royston members had over two hours of solid coaching round the track culminating with a chance for photos with one of the great BMX racers .
You may also want to watch:
If you who want to have a try at BMX riding or racing, the Rockets have a “come and try” day on Saturday, June 1, starting at 10.30am and lasting two hours.
A small number of loan bikes and helmets are available and coaches will be on hand to assist.
- 1 A505 campaigner on safety improvement progress and wrong-way driver near-miss
- 2 Kite Festival cancelled after lockdown extension
- 3 Grandmother runs Royston in Blue 5k solo to raise money for charity
- 4 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 5 What is happening in our area for Armed Forces Day?
- 6 Limes Communal Rooms to become Bassingbourn's village hall
- 7 Nurses to meet with unvaccinated social care workers to address concerns
- 8 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 9 Uber-style app could mean doorstep bus pick up
- 10 Bloomsday group's post-lockdown gathering to celebrate Joyce novel
For more information go to www.roystonrockets.co.uk or visit the club on Saturday afternoons or Tuesday evenings.