Lockett double sinks lowly Langford

Royston Town 2 Langford 1

A GOAL either side of half time from Ryan Lockett secured a deserved victory against bottom side Langford at Garden Walk on Saturday.

It was an important win for Paul Attfield’s Crows who hadn’t played a competitive match for three weeks due to the recent freezing weather conditions. Attfield also gave a start in midfield for new signing Martin Standen who impressed on his debut with his strength and presence in the middle of the park.

Royston started brightly on what was a tricky surface and nearly went ahead inside the first 10 minutes when Ricky Young’s header was cleared off the line from a Lockett corner.

Langford certainly played their part in a lively opening period, though, and displayed an enthusiasm which belied their position in the table. Tunde Aderoumi had the Reds’ best chance to take the lead shortly afterwards but his surging run was not justified with his resulting chip which went wide of Luke Howard’s goal.

Royston took the lead after 27 minutes when Lockett turned brilliantly after a quick free kick with his back to goal to fire a low shot into the bottom corner past the Reds goalkeeper.

Royston began to control the game more and more as the half wore on and the lead was nearly doubled when Tom Malins’ header was expertly tipped over the crossbar by the ‘keeper. Despite looking dangerous with the pace and direct play of Malins and Ricky Young, Langford’s resolve ensured they went into the break only one goal behind.

Most Read

The Crows put the match beyond reasonable doubt 10 minutes after the restart when Lockett grabbed his second of the match when his shot from 25 yards left the ‘keeper, who arguably had a number of his defenders in his eye-line, rooted to the spot as the ball nestled into the bottom corner of the net.

The destination of the three points never looked in doubt thereafter as Attfield’s team continued to create opportunities but it was the visitors who found the net next to set up a nervy final few minutes.

Reds striker Tom Ahmed was allowed too much space by the Crows defenders before rifling a powerful shot beyond the helpless Howard.

It only proved to be a mere consolation, though as the home team held out for an important win having gone since November 2 since tasting their last victory.

It was a doubly good weekend with the news that league-leaders Chalfont St Peter suffered a shock 2-1 home defeat to Kingsbury London Tigers. It was the first time this season they have dropped points and Royston will hope it is a sign of pressure starting to set in within the Saints team who threw away top-spot late on last season gifting Aylesbury promotion.

Up next for Royston is a trip to mid-table Biggleswade United on Saturday afternoon.

Royston Town: Howard, Whitaker (Bronti 45), Grinham, Endacott, Cain, Collins, Lamacraft (Edwards 75), Martin Standen, Malins, Lockett, Young.

Subs Not Used: Brinkman, Welch, Dance.

Attendance: 142