Littlechild is number one club champ
FOLLOWING on from a successful competition in Royston, the DC Boxing club are celebrating another success – their first champion. Thirteen-year-old Shane Littlechild beat Steve Middleton of Great Yarmouth to become the club s first Eastern Counties Champ
FOLLOWING on from a successful competition in Royston, the DC Boxing club are celebrating another success - their first champion.
Thirteen-year-old Shane Littlechild beat Steve Middleton of Great Yarmouth to become the club's first Eastern Counties Champion.
The youngster is held in high regard by his club's coaches and is considered a bright prospect for the future.
Coach Scott Barrett said: "Shane is very talented indeed, and this win really puts the club on the map.
"He beat another good boxer on unanimous points and will now go into the national quarter-finals in three weeks time.
"He will now meet a lad from Leeds and we hope he can make it into the final - we think he can go all the way.
- 1 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 2 Royston Museum finally reopens following two-year closure
- 3 'Hooded thieves' stole three vehicles
- 4 Royston Town Council declares climate emergency
- 5 Tractors take to the streets to raise money for hospital
- 6 Census data reveals Hertfordshire population boom over last decade
- 7 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 8 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 9 Plans for second multi-storey car park at Stevenage's Lister Hospital to help 'better meet demand'
- 10 Met Office weather: Yellow thunderstorm warning for East of England
"The club has only just been formed and Shane is our first champion. We are all very proud of him and he goes into the club's history books."
The club which is based in Cambridge, received a £3,500 sponsorship lift from its Royston competition.
Barrett said: "It's a great boost for the club, and the future looks very promising.