Litlington hard done by
Sawston United Res 4 Litlington Athletic 1 DON'T be fooled by the score line - this was a much closer affair than the result suggests with Litlington deserving at least a point against the BIS Division 4A league leaders. Playing some wo
Sawston United Res 4 Litlington Athletic 1
BIS Division 4A
DON'T be fooled by the score line - this was a much closer affair than the result suggests with Litlington deserving at least a point against the BIS Division 4A league leaders.
Playing some wonderful passing football, Litlington gave Sawston a footballing lesson and on another day would have had the game tied up before half time after the visitors had created a host of chances but failed to convert any into a goal.
You may also want to watch:
Liam Butler twice went close from close range, Paul Harris forced a great save from the Sawston keeper when clean through and Matt Kingsley headed over with the goal at his mercy from eight yards out.
Sawston trudged off at half time for their cup of tea and came back a different team.
- 1 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 2 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 3 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 4 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 5 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 6 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 7 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 8 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 9 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 10 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
For the first 10 minutes of the second period the hosts pegged Litlington back and finally got the opener when an opportunist strike found the bottom corner.
Litlington responded almost immediately when Cook scored a wonder goal when he went on a mazy run and dispatched a left foot drive from all of 30 yards to level the scores at 1-1.
Litlington then could have had a penalty and also would have scored a second but for an offside flag being wrongfully raised by the linesman manager.
From the resulting free kick Sawston attacked and for once there was poor communications between Matt Cottiss and Ashley Hawkins who both left the striker free to slot home the second goal.
Sawston added two more to finish the scoring, leaving Litlington manager Hawkins frustrated.
"I am very annoyed by the score line today because this was a much closer game than the result suggests.
"We gave them a few scares today especially in the first half. On another day with better finishing we would have had the game won in the first half."
Man-of-the-match Ricky Wilson.