Lewis deserved better
RYAN Lewis came away from the Champ Car Atlantic race with a well-deserved fifth-place finish in Toronto. The Royston 23-year-old started the race outside of the top 10, with the new rubber on his wheels affecting the car s balance in the qualifying stag
RYAN Lewis came away from the Champ Car Atlantic race with a well-deserved fifth-place finish in Toronto.
The Royston 23-year-old started the race outside of the top 10, with the new rubber on his wheels affecting the car's balance in the qualifying stages.
However, Lewis got off to a good start until rain began to make the Canadian city's streets treacherous.
Two laps in, he pulled into the pit stop for a change of wet tyres only to be met with the red flag, a move that put the British driver to the back of the queue.
You may also want to watch:
As a result, Lewis then had to fight his way up the field and despite the set back, crossed the line in fifth place.
He said: "After being waved the red flag, I had to pick my way through three or four cars. Overall it was a great result for the team and one that reflects where we should have been all weekend."
- 1 Village school's annual fayre is a big hit
- 2 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 3 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
- 4 Safety concerns continue in final days of travel hub consultation
- 5 Margaret House residential home celebrates 50th anniversary milestone
- 6 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 7 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 8 Historic Mayflower train makes its way through Royston and Meldreth
- 9 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 10 Hunt the hearts at town trail to raise money for charity
Team principal, Derrick Walker added: "The red flag was a huge disadvantage for Ryan. From that point he just had to use is head and that's what he did. He drove a really smart race.
"Ryan deserved a podium finish, but in the wet anything can happen. It was a good solid race, but he certainly deserved better.