Levi Raymond through to national semi-final
ROYSTON boxer Levi Raymond has won through to the National Junior Novice semi-final. Raymond, a pupil at Meridian School, lifted the Home Counties 57-60 Kilo crown at the Putteridge Rec, Luton. The youngster, boxing for Stevenage ABC, was up against Chesh
ROYSTON boxer Levi Raymond has won through to the National Junior Novice semi-final.
Raymond, a pupil at Meridian School, lifted the Home Counties 57-60 Kilo crown at the Putteridge Rec, Luton.
The youngster, boxing for Stevenage ABC, was up against Cheshunt's Brian McDonnagh who had reached this stage by beating a very good Oxford boxer in the previous round.
The 15-year-old dominated the early exchanges with a very stiff jab and showed excellent footwork by stepping in and catching McDonnagh before moving out of harm's way.
You may also want to watch:
Raymond's fitness was a telling factor and as McDonnagh's work got a little untidy in round two Raymond stepped up the pace and caught his Hertfordshire opponent with two big right hands.
During the third round Raymond switched back and forth from orthodox to South Paw style and he also mixed his attacks to head and body well, running out with a unanimous decision on all three judges' cards.
- 1 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 2 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 3 Girl power and horse power prove a winning combination for Meldreth racing driver Lizzy
- 4 In pictures: The Battle of Britain Air Show 2021 at IWM Duxford
- 5 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 6 Riverdance's 25th anniversary show lifts the roof off Cambridge Corn Exchange
- 7 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 8 Award-winning CADS production at Royston Arts Festival
- 9 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 10 22-year-old sentenced for criminal damage in Melbourn
Raymond will now line up against the London champion, possibly at Bethnal Green's York Hall, on November 15 for a place in the national final.
This win continued Royston's Stevenage boxers' run of form with Marvin Usher winning his third consecutive bout last week against A Agragubi of London's Moneyfield ABC at a show in West Ham.
George Crotty, who aged just 15 is a three-time national champion, has won his last 10 contests in a row.