Levi Raymond through to national semi-final
ROYSTON boxer Levi Raymond has won through to the National Junior Novice semi-final. Raymond, a pupil at Meridian School, lifted the Home Counties 57-60 Kilo crown at the Putteridge Rec, Luton. The youngster, boxing for Stevenage ABC, was up against Chesh
ROYSTON boxer Levi Raymond has won through to the National Junior Novice semi-final.
Raymond, a pupil at Meridian School, lifted the Home Counties 57-60 Kilo crown at the Putteridge Rec, Luton.
The youngster, boxing for Stevenage ABC, was up against Cheshunt's Brian McDonnagh who had reached this stage by beating a very good Oxford boxer in the previous round.
The 15-year-old dominated the early exchanges with a very stiff jab and showed excellent footwork by stepping in and catching McDonnagh before moving out of harm's way.
Raymond's fitness was a telling factor and as McDonnagh's work got a little untidy in round two Raymond stepped up the pace and caught his Hertfordshire opponent with two big right hands.
During the third round Raymond switched back and forth from orthodox to South Paw style and he also mixed his attacks to head and body well, running out with a unanimous decision on all three judges' cards.
- 1 Trial begins for killer accused of murdering wife
- 2 Women trapped in vehicle after A10 crash
- 3 8,000 homes plan criticised over ‘hidden green belt destruction’
- 4 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products
- 5 'Simply amazing' - dad's life saved by air ambulance after mystery seizure
- 6 Two North Herts councillors sent council tax summons
- 7 EastEnders' Adam Woodyatt and Laurie Brett reunited on stage in Looking Good Dead at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 8 Fire crews tackle M11 car blaze
- 9 MPs respond to lockdown drinks party scandal
- 10 Town's biggest employer pays tribute to late F John Smith's 'vision and commitment'
Raymond will now line up against the London champion, possibly at Bethnal Green's York Hall, on November 15 for a place in the national final.
This win continued Royston's Stevenage boxers' run of form with Marvin Usher winning his third consecutive bout last week against A Agragubi of London's Moneyfield ABC at a show in West Ham.
George Crotty, who aged just 15 is a three-time national champion, has won his last 10 contests in a row.