Leavers' late penalty sinks St Albans City
Royston Celtic 2 St Albans City Youth 1 Under-12s County Cup Fifth Round Football is a funny old game. Last week Royston Celtics were the better team but lost their fixture while this week there were outplayed but won. The Celtics could have taken the lea
Royston Celtic 2 St Albans City Youth 1
Under-12s County Cup Fifth Round
Football is a funny old game.
Last week Royston Celtics were the better team but lost their fixture while this week there were outplayed but won.
The Celtics could have taken the lead when Justin Leavers got through at the 'keeper but the ball bounced up and went wide of the goal, while in response St Albans took the lead due to the hosts not clearing their lines.
Jack Mills, Callum Pinner Lorcan George and Eamon Henderson played as a unit covering each other well to keep the score at 1-0 at the break and in the second half Royston took the game to their opponents.
- 1 Women trapped in vehicle after A10 crash
- 2 8,000 homes plan criticised over ‘hidden green belt destruction’
- 3 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products
- 4 'Simply amazing' - dad's life saved by air ambulance after mystery seizure
- 5 EastEnders' Adam Woodyatt and Laurie Brett reunited on stage in Looking Good Dead at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 6 MPs respond to lockdown drinks party scandal
- 7 Fire crews tackle M11 car blaze
- 8 Two North Herts councillors sent council tax summons
- 9 Partygate is a kick in the teeth for South Cambs residents, says Lib Dem candidate
- 10 Boris Johnson admits he attended 'BYOB' Downing Street gathering
George Bailey and Richard Jonas causing all sorts of problems and Ben Webb was back to his best, and although James Rushton continued to attack defenders and Rhys Westbury started to cause problems they found it tough against one of the best defences at this level.
It therefore took a thunderbolt shot from Lorcan George into the top corner to level things up, and only then did Royston believe they could win the game.
Henderson Mills stood firm to the breakaways and George showed what a great defender he has become by shielding his goalkeeper Robbie Ponting.
The match went to extra time and Royston took the game to their opponents and their attacking style of play paid off when Bailey was brought down in the box and Leavers stepped up to put home the penalty and with it seal the victory.
Royston: Ponting, Westbury, Mills, Pinner, Leavers, Henderson, George, Jonas, Bailey, Rushton, Webb, McGlynn, Atkins.