Late show wins it for Colts

Royston Town Colts A U-12 4 Sandy Colts 2 COLTS began the New Year as they finished the old with another sound victory against plucky opponents, Sandy Colts. Conor Saggers and Jake Benstead sealed the points with second-half strikes to extend Colts

Royston Town Colts A U-12 4 Sandy Colts 2

COLTS began the New Year as they finished the old with another sound victory against plucky opponents, Sandy Colts.

Conor Saggers and Jake Benstead sealed the points with second-half strikes to extend Colts' unbeaten run to nine games.

Royston began well, Max McLean on hand to calmly slot home after good play from Jordan Hall and Saggers.

The lead was short lived, however, Sandy taking advantage of slack defending to level at the far post.

The home side hit back, Sandy's 'keeper unable to stop Hall taking his season's total to eight with a terrific strike from distance.

Most Read

Ever improving Sandy made it all-square once again soon after the restart, pouncing on a poor clearance to equalise setting-up a terrific second half.

Good work from Benstead and Hall put Jack Bailey through only to see his first-time shot ricochet off the crossbar, Sandy rattling Royston's woodwork in the very next move.

There were further chances for both sides, Bailey, Hall and Sam Hunter all unlucky not to register for the home side, and Matt Cooney, in particular, dominating for Royston at the back.

Just as it looked as if Colts might be heading for another draw, Saggers popped up on the edge of the box to smash home a McLean corner.

Benstead, then made sure of the points after good work from Sam Cooper, crashing home to maintain Royston's undefeated home record in the league.

Buntingford Cougars U-15 1 Royston Town Colts 4

A COOLLY efficient Colts side effectively wrapped up the tie after 20 minutes in an entertaining League Cup match at Buntingford.

After early high tempo exchanges Royston were quick to signal their intent when Dominic Oxenford, enjoying his new role as striker, opened Colts' account with a powerful 20 yard strike into the top corner.

Moments later he found the side netting and fellow striker Connor Barnard headed just over before Harry Noades doubled Royston's lead with a fine low finish.

Adam Jinkerson then cut in from the left and skimmed the top of the bar before Buntingford, countering well on the break, gave Colts' keeper Tom Monti his first test of the day, with a low shot that the keeper kept out at full stretch.

He topped that moments later when Buntingford again broke clean through, this time diving bravely to deny the home side.

Such moments were rare, however, with the back line of Chris Wilkins, Richard Chapman, Ryan Ingrey and Jack Tidey looking strong and well-organised.

And it was Ingrey who struck next for the visitors, surging through from the back to fire in a low shot from five yards.

Ricky Williams twice came close to adding a fourth, but it remained 3-0 at the break.

In the second half Royston continued to dominate.

The two strikers menaced continually, helped by consistently impressive service from midfielders Noades and Williams, powerful performances on the flanks by Adam Green and Adam Jinkerson, and brief but effective contributions from substitutes Roger Skeggs and Craig Lucken.

The latter stages were characterised by a succession of near misses by Barnard, who did just about everything apart from getting the ball over the line.

The visitors' nerves jangled briefly when Buntingford again broke down the right and pulled a goal back with a superb curling shot, but normal service resumed moments later.

Green capped a great afternoon's work on the right by slotting a low pass in to Oxenford, who turned and fired home his second and Colts' fourth of the day, sealing Royston's progress into the next round.

Biggleswade United Reds A 0 Royston Town Colts U-10 1

COLTS' first game back after the Christmas break proved to be a tough one against a resolute Biggleswade side who played much better than the bottom of the table position would suggest they were capable of.

The game was decided with a solitary goal in the first half by Reece King after a well taken corner by Jordan Campbell was headed in superbly by King at the far post.

Royston controlled the game well from start to finish with very little threat on their own goal. Jack Jefferis, Stephen Thake and Richard Jonas all worked well in defence to snuff out any half chances by the Blues.

Matthew Stout and Campbell worked hard in midfield and Jake Long and King worked well up front always closing the Biggleswade defenders down quickly.

Colts had a number of chances to finish the game off but only some last ditch defending by Biggleswade spared them after clearing a couple of shots off the line in the second half and the bar and post saving them in them first.

Biggleswade United Reds B 0 Royston Town Colts U-10 4

DANIEL Goodfellow scored all four goals as an excellent team performance saw Colts stroll to victory at Biggleswade.

A good piece of solo work down the right by Goodfellow produced the first goal with a shot from a tight angle going in at the far post.

A clear handball in the penalty area gave Colts a spot kick that Goodfellow stepped up and slotted home with ease.

Another fine run down the right by Goodfellow in a similar fashion to his first led to a shot that slipped under the keeper and was then knocked into the net on its way over the line by Biggleswade defender as he tried in vain to clear the wall.

Goodfellow saved his best until last with a superb half volley that flew over the keepers head and dipped under the bar to score his fourth in 10 minutes.

There was some respite for Biggleswade with the arrival of half time and they managed to organise themselves better in the second half.

Although Colts came close on half a dozen occasions to increase their lead further.

This may have looked like a one man show but there were other notable performances from Mitch Harness in defence, Jack Freeman in midfield, and Jack Pearce up front which contributed to a great all round team performance.

Baldock Town Youth Templars 4 Howard Cottage Cougars U-11 5

A DISAPPOINTING performance saw Templars lose this nine goal thriller, on Sunday.

The Templars looked like a team who had had too many mince pies over the Christmas break and Cougars dominated the first half, deservedly taking the lead in the 19th minute of a rather dull half.

However the second half was as exciting and enthralling a half of football as any fan could want to see. Jordan Massey, making his comeback after 11 weeks off through injury, set the tone with a spectacular overhead kick that went just over the Cougars crossbar.

William Budd saw his shot hit the side netting after Massey had played in a great cross from the left.

Baldock pulled level 12 minutes into the second half as Nicholson collected the ball on halfway and sprinted into the Cougars box, cutting back a low hard cross a Cougars defender could only watch as it bounced off him into his own net. But Baldock fell asleep, and Cougars came straight back from the resulting kick off to once again take the lead.

The lead lasted three minutes before George Higginson popped up to pull Baldock level again.

Then a spectacular Judges free kick found Budd at the far post who placed a great header to Higginson's feet to strike his second.

Baldock were in front and playing great attacking football.

Budd and Higginson combined again to give Baldock what seemed a comfortable lead and Higginson his hat-trick.

But Cougars fought hard and pressed forward to bring a couple of good saves from Sam Kendle, before a disaster as a defensive clearance went straight into Baldock's own net in the last minute of normal time.

A draw would have seemed a fair result but fate had a further twist as Cougars scored a winner in the seventh minute of stoppage time, and Baldock were left to rue those missed chances.

Melbourn Tigers U-9 4 Royston Town Colts 3

TIGERS started the new year win victory against local rivals Royston, on Saturday.

Rebecca Brooker soon put the visitors under pressure with only minutes on the clock. Brooker's solo run up the pitch resulted in her being brought down just yards out side the box. Brooker took the kick and powered her shot straight past everyone and into the net.

Royston came back and levelled the game after 10 minutes, but Tigers came straight back with a Charlie Weber run and shot to make it 2-1.

Colts replied again to level it up.

Then Weber again made a good run, with help from Ben Breeze and Jacob Rand. But the keeper got a hand to the shot to palm it away before Will Thompson made it 3-2.

Holding the midfield Royston took advantage of a mistake and levelled the score once more.

But it was the impressive Brooker who had the final say, powering home the winner.