Late penalty denies Celtic
CELTIC were undone by a last-gasp penalty that ensured a 2-2 draw with Sawbridgeworth Juniors Reds. Celtic started strongly and it was Edwards who put his side ahead after breaking the offside trap. Edwards again went close after beating the Sawbridgewor
CELTIC were undone by a last-gasp penalty that ensured a 2-2 draw with Sawbridgeworth Juniors Reds.
Celtic started strongly and it was Edwards who put his side ahead after breaking the offside trap.
Edwards again went close after beating the Sawbridgeworth defence, before Sawbridgeworth capitalised on a rear mix up between the Celtic defence and 'keeper before scrambling the ball home to make the scores level at half time.
The second half started with Celtic controlling the play and using the channels to good effect with Edwards again going close with a long-range effort that went narrowly wide.
Again, Birks and Edwards continued to cause problems before the latter was felled in the box and jack Logan scored the resulting penalty.
Celtic continued to dominate with Little controlling the centre of the park along with the hard working George Pemberton and new signing Romario Thomas.
- 1 Street Food Heroes return to Royston
- 2 Last-ball victory keeps Reed on the rise up the Championship
- 3 Recap: Thameslink passengers urged to delay travel due to 'incidents'
- 4 Recap: Tree on the tracks disrupts London, Stansted and Cambridge trains
- 5 A-level results 2022: When is results day and what can I expect?
- 6 Grandad celebrates 18th sailing championship win
- 7 Hertfordshire under Met Office yellow warning for storms
- 8 Royston struggle to add second win to opening day success
- 9 Vintage tractor run to raise money for churches
- 10 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
With minutes to go, though, a rare Sawbridgeworth attack saw a penalty awarded and converted to draw the scores level at 2-2. Celtic continued to push for the winner they deserved but ran out of time.
M.Houghton, R.Smith, J. Sartini, J. Logan, J. O'Brien, G. Pemberton, M. Barnes, C. Little, K. Birks, J.Austin-Tierney, J. Edwards, G. Byles, R. Thomas, E. Wilkinson