Last-gasp Young strike seals much-needed victory

Paul Attfield relieved man after Oxhey win

PAUL ATTFIELD didn’t care how they did it – which is just as well!

Royston got back to winning ways on Tuesday night against Oxhey Jets but not before many a fingernail had been bitten to the root after the Crows had squandered a two-goal lead in the final six minutes of the game. However, despair quickly turned to joy in stoppage time when Ricky Young stepped up to give the Crows the three points they so desperately craved after five matches without a win.

And manager Attfield says his team were due that little bit of luck that he felt had been avoiding them in previous weeks.

“The pattern of the game was reminiscent of others just lately,” said Attfield.

“Dominating the first half with good possession and chances but failing to kill a game off when we have the opportunity to which could have cost us but it was more important just to get a positive result – I didn’t really care how we done it.

“Confidence has obviously been dented with recent results and our game got tight and edgy as the second half progressed which was understandable. In terms of chances we haven’t had a great deal of luck in front of goal just lately so the lads did superbly well to press late on after their equaliser and Ricky’s goal was maybe the bit of luck we needed and had been missing of late.”

Most Read

Royston started the match brightly and took the lead on 18 minutes when striker George Brinkman scored his first goal in eight games when he received well-weighted through-ball to calmly round the ‘keeper and slot home from an acute angle.

Royston looked a far more settled side after going ahead but goalkeeper Lee Robinson, making only his third appearance for the Garden Walk club, made a fine save from close range to keep the lead in tact.

This was as close as the visitors came to scoring in the first half as Royston dominated proceedings and should have extended their advantage on a number of occasions before the interval.

A superb run from Ashley Grinham, pictured, ended with him rounding the ‘keeper before setting up Brinkman who somehow missed the chance to double his tally on the night with the goal at his mercy.

Another good chance fell to winger Luke Robins who beat the offside trap before opting to shoot early despite being clean through on goal and his mis-kicked effort sailed harmlessly over the crossbar.

However, they did grab the second goal their performance deserved on 36 minutes when centre-half Nick Mulvaney bundled Robins’ low corner into the net from inside the six yard box.

The tide of the game changed notably midway through the second half after Mulvaney was forced to withdraw from the match due to injury and with Oxhey beginning to create an increasing amount of opportunities, nerves began setting in when Royston had possession.

With 10 minutes remaining Jets reduced the deficit with a swift counter-attack that was headed past Robinson by Spencer Belotti before disaster struck a minute from the end of normal time when Chris Ingham scored a superb volley from 20 yards.

However, the Crows weren’t to be denied and the three points were achieved in the most dramatic of fashions.

Royston went on the attack straight from the re-start and Ricky Young’s powerful shot from the right side of the penalty area was somehow fumbled into the net by the Jets ‘keeper to send the Crows players into delirium. It was a win that had been long overdue after recent results, but one that will do wonders for the players’ confidence.