Lane paves way Captain’s Day win
RICHARD Lane came out on top in Saturday’s Captain’s Day at Royston Golf Club.
He finished with an incredible 44 points in the 18-hole stableford event in which captain Barry Buckerfield welcomed 175 players to take part.
The 10-handicapper played two steady nines of just one over par to secure victory from Paul Hayden by just a single shot. Hayden had a poor start dropping three shots in the first four holes, but recovered with three birdies.
On a day of high scoring, Robin Coles finished third with 42, Martin Pendrick scored 41 and both Charlie Fidler and Tony Funston had 40 points.
The top ladies’ prize went to the captain’s daughter, Sarah. The eight-handicapper scored 37 points to finish three clear of Val Squires and Libby Toby.
You may also want to watch:
Lady captain, Karen Pearson, held her Captain’s Day on Sunday and blessed with good weather, it was Linda Lakey who took the overall prize with 40 points. Alice Lewis finished second in the bronze section, just edging out Sue Bidwell.
Twelve-handicapper Emma Logan won the Silver Division with 38, Squires had 37 and Jenny Jarvis took third spot with 34.
- 1 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 2 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 3 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 4 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 5 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 6 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 7 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 8 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 9 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 10 Strictly Come Dancing champion to Dial M for Murder in Cambridge
The best front nine prize was won by Tracey Parsons, while Marjory Humphreys had the best back nine.
Spot prizes were also won by Parsons, Lewis, Denise Moody and Kathy Musgrave.
Meanwhile Peter Mitchell won the Midweek Golfers monthly Stableford on Wednesday with a score of 37 points, edging out Doug Moule on countback, while Ken Ayre took third place.