Ladies show plenty of Heart
Royston make it through to next round of Herts County Cup with win over rivals
ROYSTON Ladies secured their place in the second round of the Herts County Cup with a hard-fought win over local rivals Hitchin Hearts at Garden Walk on Sunday.
Royston started well with Emma Chaffey scoring after just five minutes following excellent play down the left by Marie Miller. Hitchin began to dominate the game and only a combination of excellent defending led by skipper Leanne Buchannan and a great save by ‘keeper Sanna Pettersson and a goal-line clearance by Clare Ratty denied Hitchin their equaliser.
With the half coming to an end, a sweeping move down the right by Eve Brindle allowed Chaffey to make it 2-0 from close range.
Within two minutes of the restart Hitchin pulled one back and as the half wore on it seemed only a matter of time before they got what would have been a well-deserved equaliser.
You may also want to watch:
However, sloppy defending by the visitors allowed Chaffey to complete her hat-trick with a fine strike into the top corner of the net.
Hitchin never lost hope and continued to create chances and another last ditch save from Pettersson allowed Royston to retain their advantage. In the dying minutes Chaffey scored her fourth from the penalty spot after being brought down in the area.
- 1 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 2 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 3 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 4 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 5 Hotel has everything you need for a relaxing staycation
- 6 PM set to announce postponement of lockdown easing today
- 7 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 8 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 9 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
- 10 7 things to do, places to go and gift experiences for dad this Father's Day
Royston’s Manager Steve Buchannan said afterwards: “In many ways Hitchin deserved more out of the game but we took our chances when it mattered and can now look forward to the next round.”