Ladies show plenty of Heart
Royston make it through to next round of Herts County Cup with win over rivals
ROYSTON Ladies secured their place in the second round of the Herts County Cup with a hard-fought win over local rivals Hitchin Hearts at Garden Walk on Sunday.
Royston started well with Emma Chaffey scoring after just five minutes following excellent play down the left by Marie Miller. Hitchin began to dominate the game and only a combination of excellent defending led by skipper Leanne Buchannan and a great save by ‘keeper Sanna Pettersson and a goal-line clearance by Clare Ratty denied Hitchin their equaliser.
With the half coming to an end, a sweeping move down the right by Eve Brindle allowed Chaffey to make it 2-0 from close range.
Within two minutes of the restart Hitchin pulled one back and as the half wore on it seemed only a matter of time before they got what would have been a well-deserved equaliser.
You may also want to watch:
However, sloppy defending by the visitors allowed Chaffey to complete her hat-trick with a fine strike into the top corner of the net.
Hitchin never lost hope and continued to create chances and another last ditch save from Pettersson allowed Royston to retain their advantage. In the dying minutes Chaffey scored her fourth from the penalty spot after being brought down in the area.
- 1 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 2 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 3 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 4 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 5 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 6 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 7 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 8 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 9 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 10 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
Royston’s Manager Steve Buchannan said afterwards: “In many ways Hitchin deserved more out of the game but we took our chances when it mattered and can now look forward to the next round.”