Ladies show plenty of Heart
Royston make it through to next round of Herts County Cup with win over rivals
ROYSTON Ladies secured their place in the second round of the Herts County Cup with a hard-fought win over local rivals Hitchin Hearts at Garden Walk on Sunday.
Royston started well with Emma Chaffey scoring after just five minutes following excellent play down the left by Marie Miller. Hitchin began to dominate the game and only a combination of excellent defending led by skipper Leanne Buchannan and a great save by ‘keeper Sanna Pettersson and a goal-line clearance by Clare Ratty denied Hitchin their equaliser.
With the half coming to an end, a sweeping move down the right by Eve Brindle allowed Chaffey to make it 2-0 from close range.
Within two minutes of the restart Hitchin pulled one back and as the half wore on it seemed only a matter of time before they got what would have been a well-deserved equaliser.
However, sloppy defending by the visitors allowed Chaffey to complete her hat-trick with a fine strike into the top corner of the net.
Hitchin never lost hope and continued to create chances and another last ditch save from Pettersson allowed Royston to retain their advantage. In the dying minutes Chaffey scored her fourth from the penalty spot after being brought down in the area.
- 1 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 2 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
- 3 Ian Stewart murder trial: Killer 'restricted wife's breathing and fabricated epilepsy death'
- 4 Tiffinity and Beyond: Boost for Melbourn business thanks to former BBC Dragon
- 5 Plan B measures to be scrapped across England
- 6 Meet the couple who won holidays by the sea for a year
- 7 Women trapped in vehicle after A10 crash
- 8 Former heavyweight boxing champ to support hospice with charity dinner
- 9 'We must learn to live with Covid' says health secretary on Plan B's end
- 10 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
Royston’s Manager Steve Buchannan said afterwards: “In many ways Hitchin deserved more out of the game but we took our chances when it mattered and can now look forward to the next round.”