Ladies move into Plate semi-final
Royston Town Ladies 1 Haverhill Rovers 0
ROYSTON Town Ladies booked their place in the semi-final of the League Plate after a hard fought battle with their neighbours from Suffolk at Garden Walk on Sunday.
The hosts began the game with great tempo, with both Claire Ratty and Eve Brindle dominating the midfield. Town nearly took the lead after just five minutes when Sharon Pinner put through striker Jenny Probert and it took an excellent save from the Rovers ‘keeper to deny her.
Haverhill seemed to have no real answer to Town’s attacking flair and on 30 minutes they deservedly went ahead after Miller beat the ‘keeper to Probert’s cross and steered the ball home.
As the visitors pushed forward in search of an equaliser, Town were able to exploit the space and Miller, Probert and Pinner all had chances to put the result beyond doubt.
You may also want to watch:
In a frantic last ten minutes Haverhill seized the initiative and only a combination of excellent defending by Wendy Webster, Gemma Barlow and Amy Shepherd combined with some eccentric goalkeeping by Claire Draper saved the day.
After the game Town’s Manager Steve Buchannan commented: “I thought we showed a lot of character, especially in the second half, and it was another great example of excellent teamwork and we are looking forward to the semi-final.”
- 1 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 2 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 3 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 4 This Hound could run and and run... Sherlock Holmes play was 'a fun evening'
- 5 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 6 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 7 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 8 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 9 Hertfordshire's adult social care workers honoured at award ceremony
- 10 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images