Ladies get back on the winning trail
Royston Ladies 1 Letchworth II 0 ROYSTON Ladies bounced back from their defeat last week in the Five Counties Premier League with a convincing 1-0 win over bottom of-the-table Letchworth. Royston started the first-half strongly, with the midfield
Royston Ladies 1 Letchworth II 0
ROYSTON Ladies bounced back from their defeat last week in the Five Counties Premier League with a convincing 1-0 win over bottom of-the-table Letchworth.
Royston started the first-half strongly, with the midfield dominating the game. Their hard work and persistence soon paid off with a well-worked goal.
Ellie Mann switched the play to Sarah Buckerfield on the right wing who swiftly played the ball on to Martine Powley.
She controlled well and slotted the ball to Alex Meredith-Hardy who swept a shot past the diving keeper.
In the second-half Letchworth came out more determined and some fine defending from Karen Mckay, Kerry Alexander and Ruth Askham kept the visitors at bay.
- 1 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 2 Man sentenced for handling stolen goods - including designer watch, clothes and laptop
- 3 Drug dealer jailed after being found with heroin and crack cocaine
- 4 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 5 Ian Stewart 'appeared odd' at wife Diane's funeral, court hears
- 6 Cyclist in hospital with life-threatening injuries after crash
- 7 Bank cards, electrical items and jewellery stolen in burglary
- 8 Jail for fraudulent accountant who tried to steal £200k of employer’s money
- 9 Face coverings no longer mandatory indoors as England returns to Plan A
- 10 Ian Stewart murder trial: Diane 'suffered lack of oxygen for up to an hour'
However, with two minutes left on the clock, Letchworth were awarded a penalty corner and the chance to draw level.
Luckily for Royston, Laura Price was on hand to thwart any equaliser and help her side claim a deserved victory.
Shefford and Sandy Ladies III 3 Royston Ladies II 2
ROYSTON let slip a two-goal lead at Shefford.
They began brightly in their early morning start, and were soon leading with a fine strike from Jules Fuller.
Fuller then added a second to ensure that the visitors were deservedly in control at the break.
However, the hosts fought hard in a scrappy second-half, and Royston struggled to cope with the Shefford and Sandy attackers, who scored two quick goals to equalise midway through the second-half, and then grabbed the winner.
The defeat came as a blow to Royston who had renewed confidence after a 5-1 home victory the week before, in their efforts to move away from the bottom of the league table.