Ladies eventually overcome bogey team

Melbourn Squash Club round-up

MELBOURN Squash Club Ladies’ First Team recorded a 16-10 victory at Comberton in their latest match – their first win in this fixture for over five years.

Lucy Robertson (five) started the team well with a 3-0 win against an opponent who had a very similar style. Roberta Griggs (four) played next and seemed ready for victory as she took the first two games. However, her opponent fought back to force a fifth game decider only for Griggs to regain her initial form for the last crucial game and took the match 3-2.

Frances Smith (three) also had a see-saw game, fighting all the way, and she too ended up playing a fifth game which she also won, bringing early victory for Melbourn.

With the pressure off, Kate Bradshaw (one) and Lynne Hays (two) might have felt more relaxed. Unfortunately, the outcome was losses for both of these players. Hays lost her match 3-0, although the score did not reflect the closeness of the games or her tenacity, while Bradshaw failed to maintain concentration and let the match slip in a 3-2 loss.

Skipper Hays was pleased, saying: “This was an excellent result. The wins at three, four and five meant the match was won before Katie had to play - normally we rely on Katie in order to win!”

Meanwhile, Melbourn Men’s First Team maintained their position near the top of Division Three with a 17-8 win against Cambridge IIIs.

Most Read

Skipper, Paul Heath (five), set his team on their way with a 3-0 scoreline, while on the other court Steve Durrant (four), playing his first match of the season after a shoulder injury, dug in to triumph 3-2.

Dan Easton (three) then ensured the win after a fairly comfortable 3-1 victory. Ian Blows (two) managed to come out on top in a typically close match, 3-2. The only blemish was at first-string, where Mark Oppen met a very stylish opponent who won 3-0.

Heath said afterwards: “It was closer than the scores suggest, but we managed to win both of the matches that went to a fifth game. It was especially good to see Steve playing again after his lengthy lay-off.”

Elsewhere, Melbourn IIs fell to a 16-8 defeat at Ely Squash & Leisure, but remain top of Division Four after their promotion rivals also slipped up.

Circumstances didn’t help Melbourn who, already missing two regulars, were forced into a very late alteration after skipper Matt Walker was caught up in a road collision.

Teenager Joe Weavers (three) opened matters by maintained his 100 per cent record with a 3-1 victory. Colin Taylor (four) looked to be on track when he won the second game to level his match, only for the Ely player to tighten up his shots and pull through 3-1.

Dave Weavers (five), Joe’s father, initially found the going tough, quickly losing the first two games. And despite a much more competitive third, Weavers lost 3-0.

Michael Easton (two) changed tactics when a game and 6-0 down, by completely turning the match on its head to win 3-1.

In the deciding rubber Jan Brynjolffssen (one) found his opponent was too consistent, with the Melbourn player picking up the third game in a 3-1 defeat.

Acting captain, Brynjolffssen, commented: “I think we did reasonably well in the circumstances. Many thanks to Dave for stepping in at the last minute to make sure we had a full team. However, the best news of the evening was that it was only vehicles that suffered significant damage during Matt’s accident.”